Dr. Charlie Penrod
- Position: Assistant Professor of Legal Studies
- Department: Legal Studies, Public Administration and Sports Management
- Office Location: Building 70, Room 108
- Campus: (850) 474-2777
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Charles “Charlie” Penrod, an Assistant Professor of Legal Studies, has conducted research on copyright law, unemployment law, business law and cybercrime, among other topics.
Penrod, who has a J.D. from Louisiana State University, practiced law and taught at Northwestern State University in Louisiana before joining UWF in 2014. He teaches courses on American law, torts, contracts and ethics.
Penrod’s research has focused on copyright law, sexual harassment protections, and privacy policies for university websites. He is putting more emphasis on copyright law, an increasingly controversial issue as the Internet grows. His peer-reviewed work has been published in Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property Law, Loyola Law Review, Universal Journal of Educational Research, Journal of Business Information Systems and Journal of Workplace Rights, to name a few.
His subjects included “A New Approach to Fair Use in Copyright,” e-crime prevention, and “Improving Sexual Harassment Protections: An Examination of U.S. University Sexual Harassment Policies.”
As a lawyer in Louisiana, Penrod specialized in employment law and worked as a research attorney for the local court system.
He also was a champion on “Jeopardy,” winning $19,000 while competing on the popular television game show in 2010.
Degrees & Institutions:
Penrod received two bachelor's degrees, one in Liberal Arts and one in Political Science, from Louisiana Scholars' College at Northwestern State University. He went on to earn his Juris Doctor degree from Louisiana State University.
- Copyright Law, particularly research into what constitutes a fair use of another's work
- Employment Law and employee rights in the workplace
- Corporate liability for customer injuries
- Survey of American Law
- Constitutional Law
- Cyber Law
- Survey of American Law
- Constitutional Law
- Tort Law
- Legal Systems and Ethics
- Contracts and Business Entities
Penrod enjoys teaching the law in a way that makes it fun and interesting. Outside of the classroom, he loves to play tennis and cheer on the New Orleans Saints to victory. Penrod is also an avid trivia buff and was able to fulfill a lifelong dream in 2010 by becoming a Jeopardy! Champion. He has been married to his wife Amanda since 2002 and have two wonderful children, Adam and Molly.
- Penrod, Charlie (2014). Restoring the Balancing Test: A New Approach to Fair Use in Copyright. Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property Law. (forthcoming). Tentative Fall 2014 Issue.
- Penrod, Charlie (2014). Intentional Acts and the Definition of Disqualifying Misconduct in Louisiana Unemployment Law. Loyola Law Review. (forthcoming). Tentative Fall 2014 issue.
- Fusilier, M. & Penrod, C. (2013). E-Business Curricula and Cybercrime: A Continuing Error of Omission? Universal Journal of Educational Research. 1:2, 74-82. DOI: 10.13189/ujer.2013.010206
- Swanstrom, M. & Penrod, C. (2013). Champion Determining System: Do Playoffs Work? Journal of Sport and Art. Vol. 1, Number 1, July 2013.
- Penrod, C. & Fusilier, M. Improving Sexual Harassment Protections: An Examination of the Legal Compliance of U.S. University Sexual Harassment Policies. (2011) Journal of Workplace Rights, Vol. 15, Number 2, p.151. Fall 2011.
- Penrod, C. & Fusilier, M. Representation of Business Law Courses in E-Commerce Masters Programs. (2010) Journal of Business, Industry and Economics, Vol. 15, page 53. Fall 2010.
- Fusilier, M. & Penrod, C. (2010) E-crime Prevention: An Investigation of the Preparation of e-commerce Professionals. Journal of Internet Commerce, 8:1-2,1-21. DOI: 10.1080/15332860903341281
- Penrod, Charlie W. (2009). Employment retaliation for protected characteristics: Is it illegal? Louisiana Bar Journal – August/September 2009
- Penrod, Charlie W. (2009). Recent Developments in Traffic Stop Jurisprudence. NSU National Journal of Criminal Justice – March 2009 Issue.
- Fusilier, Marcelline, Durlabhji, Subhash, and Penrod, Charlie W. (2010) E-business Education: A Repeated Measures Analysis of World Curriculum Revisions. Institute for Business and Finance Research.
Law Review Articles Accepted for Publication
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Published Non-Peer-Reviewed Articles
Works Published in Conference Proceedings
Keywords: copyright fair use, e-crime prevention, copyright law, business law, university sexual harassment policies, “Jeopardy” winner