Professional Education Minor
The following minor is offered by the UWF Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership. For more details, please see your academic advisor.
The Professional Education Minor is designed for content majors to complete the requirements for a temporary certification in Florida. Coursework meets the requirement of the Professional Training Option (PTO) and is consistent with the program requirements of Florida Department of Education.
Three-year Nonrenewable State of Florida Temporary Certification Pathway
- Complete a bachelor’s degree with a minor in Education
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE): General Knowledge Test (GK), Professional Education Test (PEd), Subject Area Examination (SAE) - fl.nesinc.com/tests.asp
- Apply for Temporary Certification through FLDOE - fldoe.org
Moving from Temporary to Professional Certification
The State of Florida Department of Education determines the requirements for converting a Three-year Nonrenewable State of Florida Temporary Certification to a Renewable Professional Certification to teach in the State of Florida as:
- Complete an approved Florida Professional Training Option for Content Majors (UWF Education Minor)
- Pass the FTCE exams listed above
- Teach successfully for one year
- Complete a district-approved competence demonstration program for first-year teachers
For more specific requirements, visit the Online UWF Catalog.
- Teaching opportunities: Public, Private, Virtual, and Overseas Schools
- Corporate Training
- Private and Non-profit Management
- Docents at Historical Sites, Parks, or Museums
- Outdoor Education Instructor
- Volunteer Organizations
- Education Publishing
- Education Software