Teacher Education Program Admission Requirements
Once a student is admitted to UWF, there are separate admissions requirements for the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership (TEEL) and UWF-Teach programs.
Students may declare a major in one of the two initial teacher certification degree majors (Elementary Education or ESE/Elementary Education) after completing the following additional requirements:
1. Meet with a CEPS academic advisor.
2. Complete an Application for Admission to TEEL (Submit the application through TK20) or UWF-Teach.
3. Read the TEEL Field Experience and Student Teaching Guide.
4. Take and pass all areas (English Language Skills, Reading, Math and Essay) of the FTCE General Knowledge Test (GK). Study materials for the GK can be accessed through the University of West Florida Libraries. In addition, TEEL offers a free online Canvas course for the GK. Please contact your assigned academic advisor for more information.
5. Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 in all previously attempted college coursework.
6. Complete online Teacher Education Orientation (see advisor).
7. Successfully complete the education course prerequisite: EDF1005 (or EDG 2041: Exploring Inquiry Teaching for UWF-Teach programs) with a C- or higher.
8. Successfully complete an A.A. degree and/or all lower level coursework.
Per state statute, students will not be allowed to move forward in a certification track and take program courses if the prerequisite and all four sections of the GK exam are not passed. Additionally, students will not be permitted to take TEEL or UWF-Teach program courses without having a GPA of 2.50 or higher. Once admitted to an initial certification degree major, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50. Students must also maintain a program GPA of 2.50 or higher to move forward with Field Experiences and Student Teaching. Careful monitoring will ensure that knowledge, skill and/or dispositional deficits of pre-service teacher candidates are identified in a timely manner so that students can be mentored successfully.
Academic Advisor for last names A-K