Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that is not found here, please ask your assigned academic advisor.

When I try to register for classes, it says I need an advising pin. Where do I get an advising pin?

All students need their advising pin released by the academic advisor. Use SSC Campus to set up an appointment with your assigned advisor. In this meeting you will discuss which classes to take and your academic advisor will release your pin.

Is there a particular order of classes I should take?

Yes, please follow the plan in Degree Works. If you have questions about this plan, ask your assigned academic advisor.

I want to complete my field experience/student teaching outside of the Pensacola area, is this possible?

Yes, when you fill out the application on Tk-20 you include this information.

I have already filled out my application in Tk-20 for field experience 1, do I need to complete another for field experience 2 and student teaching?

Yes. If you are unsure if you have completed an application, please double check on Tk-20.

I forgot to submit my application for field experience/student teaching during the application window, can I still be placed?

Unfortunately no, we cannot place you this semester. We have to maintain a relationship with the local school districts and teachers. This means giving them plenty of time to find placements and meeting our deadlines. We also want to make sure we found each student a placement that will allow them to learn the most. Additionally, it is important as professionals to be aware of deadlines and meet those deadlines.

I am a paraprofessional at a school, can I be placed at my school?

On the application, there is a place for current employment. We will take this into consideration.

Do I have to complete student teaching or field placements to get my degree?

Yes, these are required as part of a teacher preparation program.

Can I complete my field experience/student teaching in the summer?

No. School is not in session so we cannot place you in a school.

Which degree is better Elementary Education or ESE/Elementary?

That is a personal choice. Most classrooms now use an inclusion model. This mean you will be working with ESE students in a general education classroom. In the ESE/Elementary degree, you take extra courses that give you more experience and knowledge in working with this population. With this degree you will be certified to teach ESE in grades K-12. If you are not prepared to work with ESE K-12 students, the Elementary Education degree may be a better choice for you.

I want to teach secondary students, how do I get my degree in this?

Major in the content area you are interested in teaching, and minor in Professional Education.

I want to be certified in another state besides Florida, do I still have to take the FTCEs?

Yes, these are required prior to student teaching. You will not be able to graduate without it.

I want to teach in another state, what do I need to do to do this?

Contact the DOE in the state you are wanting to teach in to find out about requirements for that state.

I need to take a few classes to get my Professional Certification, what should I take?

You will need to contact the FLDOE to determine which specific classes to take. You can then apply as a non-degree seeking student to UWF. You will not have to apply separately to the education department.