Graduate Program Requirements
Please review the following graduate program admission requirements carefully. Should you have any questions, contact the Graduate Advising Office at (850) 474-2870.
Students who meet the following requirements may be provisionally admitted to the program:
- Hold or be seeking current teacher certification*
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or from an institution accredited by an equivalent accrediting body or a comparable degree from an international institution
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor’s degree**
- Applicants to the Educational Leadership program must have earned a GPA of at least 3.25 on a bachelor's degree**
- Submit a letter of intent that includes the following information: your background, short- and long-term goals, contributions you would like to make to your field of study, and strengths you bring to the program
- Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience is required for admission to the Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
- Be in good standing at all previous institutions of higher learning
To be fully admitted to the program, the following requirements must be met in addition to the requirements for provisional admission (above). Full admission is required by the fifth week of the first semester. Students will be unable to register for a second semester of coursework until full admission has been granted.
- Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Scale by each person identified as a professional reference (the Graduate Advising Office will contact each professional reference with instructions)
- Purchase and activation of a subscription to the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership's assessment system, Tk20
- Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Self-rating Scale within Tk20
*Current teaching certification is not required for the following candidates:
- Those enrolling in the Curriculum & Instruction/Primary Education program or the Exceptional Student Education program who intend to work in an agency setting rather than teach
- Those pursuing the Exceptional Student Education cognate in Applied Behavior Analysis
**Applicants who do not meet the GPA requirement but submit a current GRE verbal or MAT score that falls at or above the 50th percentile and meet all remaining admission requirements may be conditionally admitted to the program.
Note: Due to state of Florida requirements for Reading Certification (K-12), applicants to the Reading Education, M.Ed., must meet additional specific requirements:
- ESOL/ELL Requirement
- Candidates in the Reading Education Master’s Degree program will be required to demonstrate proficiency on the ESOL requirement prior to admission.
- Additional Elements of the Florida Uniform Core Curriculum (UCC)
- Contact the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership (TEEL) Graduate Advising Office for details related to the UCC requirements.
All approvals for admission to the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership are provisional and subject to reevaluation as students progress through the program. Students denied admission or removed from the program may appeal the decision to the Dean, College of Education and Professional Studies.
Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership students are expected to adhere to the Principles of Professional Conduct for the Education Profession in Florida and national standards of conduct associated with professional, accreditation, and state agencies. Students who are struggling to meet content and/or disposition standards and/or competencies may be referred to the Culture of Achievement through System of Tiered Support (CAST) process. Any student who is referred for CAST and does not successfully complete the intervention process may be denied continued enrollment in any professional education program.
*Note: the master’s degree programs in Educational Leadership Certification and Curriculum & Instruction/Reading Instruction have special extended application deadlines.