UWF CyberSuccess sponsored by Regions
The UWF CyberSuccess sponsored by Regions is an intensive cybersecurity training program designed to grow and diversify the cybersecurity workforce. Funded by the Regions Foundation and offered by the University of West Florida’s Center for Cybersecurity, the program provides FREE cybersecurity training and career development for eligible veterans to prepare and transition them into rewarding cybersecurity jobs along the Cyber Coast.
Delivery Format: Online (100% Asynchronous)
Program Launch Timeline:
The program will be offered for two cohorts of 7-8 eligible participants each. All costs for eligible and accepted participants will be covered by a grant from the Regions Foundation.
Cohort 1: March 15 - July 31, 2021
Cohort 2: TBD
- Five-month cybersecurity training and career development program at no cost to eligible participants
- Program and courses are 100% asynchronous online, making learning accessible and convenient
- Courses prepare students for cybersecurity careers with foundational knowledge and hands-on skills
- Students will receive career development support and have access to connect with job opportunities and employers
- Provides certifications and credentials to document skills and competencies
Program Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for program consideration, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident
- U.S. military veteran
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Some IT or cybersecurity experience
If selected, participants may need to meet additional criteria for employment, including the ability to obtain a security clearance, if required.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or related area
- At least two years of IT or cybersecurity experience
- Security clearance (active or past)
Program Participation Requirements
All selected applicants must agree and comply with the following:
- Strong interest in cybersecurity field and career
- Commit to participate in the program from March 1 - July 31, 2021 (courses will not run for the entire duration but participants should be available during that time frame).
- Must have your own computer with camera and microphone, and high-speed Internet connection
- Participate in all program courses and sessions, including the certification courses, exam preparation, career development sessions, and career fair. The program and courses will be offered 100% asynchronously online.
- Dedicate time towards self-study and complete all program and course requirements, including assigned readings, labs, assessments and surveys each week.
- Take any required industry certification exams within two weeks of each certification course completion and report exam results to the program coordinator.
To be considered for the program, applicants MUST complete the application form linked below and submit ALL required documents via email by the application deadline. The application form also includes a brief survey regarding any IT and cybersecurity skills. The required documents should be submitted in PDF format as attachments to a single email to Julie White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please use the following naming convention for the email subject: LastName FirstName Application (e.g., Smith Joe Application).
- For each of the required documents, please name the file as FirstName-Last-Name-DocumentType.pdf (e.g., Joe-Smith-Resume.pdf).
- A brief up-to-date resume
- A copy of unofficial transcripts for your most advanced degree completed (for high school, associate's, or bachelor's degree)
- A 2-page letter of intent that demonstrates your interest and commitment to the program and a cybersecurity career and includes the following components:
- Commitment to successfully completing the program and pursuing a career in cybersecurity
- Experiences and accomplishments that helped prepare you for this program and a cybersecurity career, including military, IT or cybersecurity education or training, industry certifications, or awards
- How this program will help you accomplish your personal and/or professional career aspirations
- What specific cybersecurity work role(s) or organizations you are interested in working for upon program completion, and why.
- Your short-term (1-4 years) and long-term (5+ years) career goals upon successful program completion.
- At least two professional recommendation letters
If initially selected for the program, you will be required to submit additional documentation to verify your citizenship or permanent residency, and veteran status. You will receive an email requesting this documentation if you are selected. You may want to start gathering this information in the interest of time.
- Veteran status: Submit a copy of your DD-214/DD 215 or Record of Separation. The Department of Veterans Affairs makes validating military service easy. Just log in to eBenefits and follow these steps:
Application and Deadline
Important: Please review all program eligibility and application requirements, and compile all required documentation before applying.
Application Form: https://forms.gle/LRjjpKkvsRS1g3Uq7
Application Deadline: March 10, 2021
More Information or Questions? Please Contact:
Administrative Specialist, Center for Cybersecurity
Phone: (850) 474-2999
UWF CyberSuccess sponsored by Regions Program Team
Dr. Eman El-Sheikh, Associate Vice President, Center for Cybersecurity
Dr. Tirthankar Ghosh, Associate Director and Professor, Center for Cybersecurity
Guy Garrett, Assistant Director, Center for Cybersecurity
Dr. Guillermo Francia III, Faculty Scholar, Center for Cybersecurity
Dr. Gregory Hall, Research Scientist, Center for Cybersecurity
Dr. Dallas Snider, Faculty Fellow, Center for Cybersecurity, and Chair, Department of Information Technology
Cyber Career Pathways Tool: Interactive tool to explore career options in cybersecurity
This program is funded by a grant from the Regions Foundation.