University of West Florida High School Honor Band
The UWF Honor Band offers a premier musical experience for high school students in the Florida Panhandle and surrounding areas.
First Annual UWF High School Honor Band
Thank you for your interest in the first annual University of West Florida 2020 High School Honor Band! The purpose of the UWF Honor Band is to provide a premier musical experience for students in the Panhandle and surrounding areas. During the UWF honor band weekend, students will participate in sectionals with UWF faculty and rehearse as an ensemble for three days. This experience will culminate in a concert performance!
Our guest conductor for the 2020 UWF High School Honor Band will be Dr. Courtney Snyder, associate director of bands at the University of Michigan.
Thursday, February 27 - Saturday, February 29, 2020
The sectionals, rehearsals, and performance will take place at the University of West Florida. Check-in will begin on Thursday, 2/27 at 3:00pm followed by master classes, dinner, and the first combined rehearsal.
- 4:00-6:00pm: Seating/Sectionals
- 6:00-7:30pm: Pizza Dinner for students, directors, volunteers, faculty
- 7:30-9:00pm: First Combined Rehearsal with Dr. Snyder
- 9:00-11:30am: Rehearsal
- 11:30-1:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00-3:00pm: Rehearsal
- 3:00-4:00pm: Campus tour/Admissions
- 4:00-5:30pm: Rehearsal
- 5:30-7:30pm: Dinner
- 7:30pm - UWF Concert
- 9:00-12:00pm: Rehearsal
- 12:00-1:30pm: Lunch/Change into concert clothes
- 1:30-2:00pm: Tuning/Warm-up
- 2:00pm: HS Honor Band Concert
*Please note the schedule is pending. This page will be revised as the event draws closer.
Auditions are open to all students grades 9-12. All students are required to fill out the 2019-2020 HSHB Audition Form. This same form is also where students will submit their audio.
Audition Materials are due by Monday, December 2nd.
All auditions must include:
- Student stating their name and school first
- Two major scales of the player’s choice (two octaves): in sixteenth notes no slower than ♩= 60
- Chromatic scale of the player’s choice: two octaves in eighth notes, ♩= 80
- All-State OR All-County audition excerpts. All-State music is preferred
- If using All-County audition materials that only include one excerpt, ADD a contrasting etude for a total of two music selections
Directors will receive a list of students selected for UWF Honor Band and all students will be notified by December 13, 2019. Chair placement within the ensemble will be based on the initial audition. Music for the festival will be emailed to the students by the end of January. If selected for the Honor Band, students will be expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals and activities on Feb. 27-29, including attending the Friday evening concert presented by UWF instrumental ensembles. Parents are responsible for transportation, lodging and supervision at all other times during the Honor Band weekend.
There is no fee to audition. The cost to participate in the festival if selected is $50 per student.
UWF Honor Band Contact
For questions, concerns or additional information on the UWF Honor Band, please contact Dr. Brittan Braddock, UWF assistant professor of Music Education and director of bands.
- Dr. Brittan Braddock
- (850) 474- 2181
Study Music at UWF
The University of West Florida Department of Music provides students with a high quality, personalized, undergraduate education for careers in the fields of music performance and music education. Admittance to our programs is by audition only.
To learn more about the program, or speak with a program advisor, contact: