Faculty and Staff
Department of Anthropology
John R Bratten
Chair and Professor of Anthropology
Education: Ph.D. Texas A&M University; M.S. and B.S. Northwest Missouri State University
Area: Maritime Archaeology
Professional Interests: Artifact conservation and preservation, maritime archaeology
Teaches: Artifact Conservation in Archaeology, Nautical Archaeology, Shipwreck Archaeology, Maritime Archaeological Field Methods, Introduction to Maritime Studies, Exploring World Archaeology
Phone: (850) 474-2706
- Co-PI, Excavation and artifact conservation of Emanuel Point II, 2nd vessel from Luna's 1559 colonization fleet
- Investigation of Pensacola's Historic Cypress Industry
- Bratten, John R. 2012. "The University of West Florida's Maritime Field School Experience," in Global Perspectives on Archaeological Field Schools: Constructions of Knowledge and Experience, Harold Mytum, Editor, Springer Publishing Company, 147-64.
- Bratten, John and Greg Cook. 2010. "2010 University of West Florida Maritime Archaeology Field School: Pensacola, Florida," The Florida Anthropologist, Vol. 63(3-4), 196-197.
- Bratten, John R. 2009. "The Mesoamerican Component of the Emanuel Point Ships: Obsidian, Ceramics, and Projectile Points," in The Florida Anthropologist, Vol. 62, Nos. 3-4, 109-114.
- Bratten, John R. and John E. Worth. 2009. "Shipwrecked History: A Sunken Spanish Fleet Reveals New Knowledge of Early Florida Colonists," American Heritage, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 44-49.
- Bratten, John R. 2009. "Diving Into 450 Years of Pensacola's Maritime History,"Pensacola Magazine, pp. 59-65. (Commemorative Issue, August 2009).
- Bratten, John R., Gregory D. Cook, and John E. Worth. 2008. "The Emanuel Point Ship II: Investigation of a newly discovered 16th-century Spanish vessel in Pensacola, Florida," in Underwater Archaeology Proceedings from the Society for Historical Archaeology Conference. Victor Mastone and Susan Langley Editors, The Society for Historical Archaeology.
Organizations and Committees
- STEM Steering Committee
- CAS Council (2006-2009; Chair 2009)
- Marine Services Executive Committee
- Graduate Council (2012-2014)