Formal Complaint Procedure
This page gives details on the procedure for filing a formal complaint with the UWF Student Accessibility Resources (SAR). Students may appeal an accommodation decision or register a formal complaint about the implementation of an accommodation with SAR.
Decision appeals and implementation complaints shall be filed with the SAR.
Students who believe that they have experienced discrimination, harassment, or retaliation can contact the Equal Opportunity Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (850) 474-2914 pursuant the University Policy, Prohibition of Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation.
SAR Formal Complaint Procedure
Students with disabilities are responsible for contacting the Assistant Director of the Student Accessibility Resources, Michelle Horne, if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an effective and timely manner. Student Accessibility Resources (SAR) is located in Bldg 21/110 and can be reached at (850) 474-2387.
Students should first consult with the Assistant Director of SAR when accommodation-related concerns arise. The Assistant Director of Student Accessibility Resources will attempt conflict resolution at the lowest level possible and move forward when necessary to the next appropriate level. If the dispute cannot be resolved by this process, the student may submit a formal written complaint.
Students may appeal an accommodation decision or file a written complaint regarding accommodation implementation to the Director of SAR. The Director of SAR will work with university personnel and the student in a timely manner to resolve disagreements regarding recommended accommodations or related issues.
The following procedures will be used to review all formal written appeals or formal complaints:
- All appeals and formal complaints must be made in writing to the Director of Student Accessibility Resources. The Director of Student Accessibility Resources may be reached at (850) 474-2387 or by email at email@example.com. The written complaint should specify the nature of the act claimed to be in violation and the period of time and circumstance in which the act occurred. This may be supplemented by supporting documents from persons having first-hand knowledge of the issue. The student formal complaint should be filed within a reasonable time. The written complaint should be filed within 60 days of the end of the semester in which the alleged violation occurred. If the written complaint is not filed within the 60 day period, the written complaint should include a clear explanation of why the complaint was not filed within the prescribed period.
- SAR will investigate all pertinent facts and circumstances in support of the alleged violation.
- SAR may attempt resolution of a complaint through mutual agreement of the affected parties at any point during the course of the investigation.
- Should such resolution be achieved, the investigation shall be ended. The terms and conditions of the resolution agreement shall be issued to the complainant and the appropriate faculty member, administrator, or department charged with implementing the prescribed action. A copy of the agreement will be filed in the complainant’s file in SAR.
- Where resolution through mutual agreement is not achieved, written findings from the investigation regarding probable cause, along with a recommendation for resolving the complaint, shall be forwarded to the complainant and the responsible administrator of the charged department by the Executive Director of the Center of Academic Success.
- Upon completion of the investigation, the appropriate faculty member, administrator, or department shall take final action on the recommendation upon receipt of the recommendation. A consultation will be provided by the Executive Director of the Center for Academic Success.
- Either party may contact the Equal Opportunity Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (850) 474-2914 if they believe they have experienced discrimination, harassment, or retaliation.
To request this page or any information referenced on the page in an alternative format, please email email@example.com.