Theodore R. & Vivian M. Johnson Scholarship
The Johnson Scholarship, funded by the Johnson Scholarship Foundation, is a competitively awarded program which is available to undergraduate students with disabilities with financial need who enroll in a State University System of Florida (SUS) institution.
IMPORTANT: READ AND RETAIN A COPY FOR YOUR RECORDS
This program is contingent upon annual funding by the Johnson Scholarship Foundation, Inc. and matching funding by the Florida Legislature. You must adhere to the following application guidelines in order to qualify for full consideration.
*New Application Deadline for 2020-2021 Award is May 1, 2020 (extended from original April 1, 2020 deadline due to COVID-19)
Students must meet the following requirements to be considered for scholarship selection:
- Be a Florida resident for tuition purposes, based on section 1009.21, Florida Statutes. (Students who receive the out-of-state fee waiver are not eligible as they are not residents for tuition purposes.)
- Be seeking a first baccalaureate degree
- Complete a Theodore R. and Vivian M. Johnson Scholarship Application Form (this is available in the MyUWF Scholarship Portal).
- Meet academic requirements
- Provide documentation of the nature and/or extent of a disability based on the UWF documentation guidelines.
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA form by April 1, 2020, and be determined to have unmet fiscal need. Be sure that the Federal School Code for your university is designated so that the university has access to your results. The FAFSA for the 2020-2021 academic year may be submitted as early as October 15, 2019.
If selected, recipients must:
- Complete and return an acceptance form by the date specified on your notification letter. Failure to return the acceptance form by the specified date will result in forfeiture of the award;
- First-time recipients must participate in a Johnson Scholarship orientation (first-time applicants);
- Complete a minimum of nine (9) credit hours each semester;
- Adhere to the minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average requirement of this program; and
- Continue to have unmet financial need.
- Apply for renewal consideration for each academic year in which you desire the award. Johnson Scholarship recipients may qualify for the award for up to twelve (12) semesters of undergraduate study.
First Time Applicants:
All first-time applicants must submit a completed FAFSA by March 1, 2020, to Federal Student Aid to receive full consideration. The following must be submitted to the university:
- A completed 2020-2021 Jonshon Scholarship Application Form by the deadline;
- A current transcript (students applying as a first-semester freshman should provide their high school transcript) showing a 2.0-grade point average;
- Provide documentation of the nature and/or extent of a disability. The disability must be in one or more of the following classifications:
- Attention Deficit Disorder / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Blind or Low Vision
- Deaf / Hard of Hearing
- Orthopedic Disability
- Psychological, Emotional, or Behavioral Disability
- Specific Learning Disability
- Speech / Language Disability
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Other Health Disabilities
- A personal statement about your achievements, activities, career goals, and the effects of your disability(ies);
- Three letters of reference addressing your academic success and potential; and
- University access to the FAFSA evaluation by Federal Student Aid.
Note: If you receive a Johnson Scholarship, you must still apply for renewal consideration each academic year in which you desire the award. Johnson Scholarship recipients may qualify for the award up to twelve (12) semesters of undergraduate study.
Renewal Applicants Must:
- Continue to have unmet financial need based upon FAFSA;
- Have completed at least 9 semester hours a semester, for a total of 18 semester hours (Spring and Fall);
- Have maintained a UWF cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0, and;
- Submit a completed 2020-2021 Johnson Scholarship Application Form to Student Accessibility Resources by April 1, 2020.
- Submit a one-page personal statement to SAR of the progress the student has made toward their graduation goals.
If you apply for admission at more than one SUS institution, submit completed Johnson Scholarship application materials to each university. The application should be sent to the contact person listed on the University Contacts page.
Applications, disability documentation, personal statements, letters of reference, and an official transcript must be received by the Student Accessibility Resources at UWF no later than April 1, 2020.
All applicants will be notified of their status as Johnson Scholarship recipients, alternate award candidates, or as students who were not selected. Notification letters will be emailed to the applicant's email address specified on the application form prior to the start of the fall semester.
After verification of enrollment, the university will disburse the award on a prorated basis each academic term to eligible Johnson Scholarship recipients. The dollar amount of the 2020-2021 awards is contingent upon the level of funding from the Johnson Scholarship Foundation and the Florida Legislature.
Call or write the appropriate university representative listed on the University Contacts page.
To Access the UWF Scholarship Portal:
- Log onto my.uwf.edu with your UWF username and password.
- Search "UWF Scholarship Portal"
- Alternatively, you may go directly to the UWF Scholarship application by logging onto uwf.academicworks.com with your UWF username and password.
- Complete and submit the General Application.
- Review your Recommended opportunities (at the top of the UWF Scholarship Application, hover over 'Opportunities' and then click, 'Recommended').
- Search "Johnson" under the "Our Scholarships" tab
Click the 'Apply' button to answer any remaining questions.
To request this page or any information referenced on the page in an alternative format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.