Housing Accommodations

The University of West Florida is committed to providing equal opportunity to all of its programs, activities, and services, and in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended in 2008, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Fair Housing Act (HUD). Student Accessibility Resources works in partnership with Housing and Residence Life to ensure equal access to all students within University housing.

living room from four bedroom layout fullsize
Village West Residence Hall


  1. Complete the Housing and Residence Life contract.  Visit www.uwf.edu/housing for contract information.
  2. Submit completed Housing Accommodation request form to Student Accessibility Resources to sar@uwf.edu, fax 850-474-2250, or in person in Building 21, Room 110.  
  3. Schedule an appointment with a Student Accessibility Resource staff member by calling 850-474-2387.

Important Deadlines

Deadlines to submit the Housing Accommodation Requests to Student Accessibility Resources:

  • Fall – May 1
  • Spring – November 1
  • Summer – April 1

While Housing Accommodation Requests submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, UWF cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the late applicants’ accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester. 

 Assistance with Emergency Evacuation

Please contact Student Accessibility Resources if you require assistance with emergency evacuation in University Housing to discuss an emergency evacuation plan.  

To request this page or any information referenced on the page in an alternative format, please email sar@uwf.edu.

What types of housing accommodations are available to students?

Housing accommodations vary by the needs of each student but include the following:

    • Light up doorbell
    • ADA accessible room
    • Medical refrigerator (for medications)
What is the difference between a “service animal” and an “assistance animal”?

What is the difference?

Service Animals are defined as dogs (or in some cases miniature horses) that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. These tasks can include things like pulling a wheelchair, guiding a person who is visually impaired, or alerting a person who is having a seizure. The tasks a service dog can perform are not limited to this list. However, the work or task a service dog does must be directly related to the person's disability. Service dogs may accompany persons with disabilities into places that the public normally goes. To request a Service Animal, the “Request for Service Animal or Service Animal in Training in University Housing” Form should be completed; the form is available at www.uwf.edu/sar .

An Assistance Animal (also commonly referred to as an emotional support or comfort animal) is an animal (typically a dog or cat though this can include other animals) that provides a therapeutic benefit to its owner through companionship. The animal provides emotional support and comfort to individuals with psychiatric disabilities and other mental impairments. The animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks for a person who has emotional disabilities. Unlike a Service Animal, an Assistance Animal is not granted access to places of public accommodation; the animal’s access is restricted to the student’s housing.


Why do I need to submit a request for a service animal?

Although service animals typically accompany the person wherever the public goes, the University works to ensure equal access to all students.  By students submitting a request for a service animal within University housing, staff can ensure that there are no conflicting medical conditions (i.e. asthma, respiratory conditions, etc.) with roommates that could impact the student’s room assignment.

What are service animal owner or assistance animal owner responsibilities?

A student who is approved for an Assistance Animal will be required to meet with Student Accessibility Resources staff to review and agree to the following requirements. Failure to follow these requirements may result in the University requesting the removal of the Assistant Animal from University housing.

An Assistance Animal must be contained within the privately assigned, student living accommodation (room, suite, or apartment), except to the extent the student is taking the animal out for natural relief. When an Assistance Animal is outside of the student’s private living accommodation, the animal must be either controlled by a leash or harness or contained in an animal carrier. Assistance Animals are not permitted in any University facility, including the commons building, other than the residential building to which the student is assigned.
Student’s Responsibilities as the Assistance Animal Owner:
• Students are only permitted one animal per documented disability need.

• The student must abide by current city, county, and state ordinances, laws, and/or regulations pertaining to licensing, vaccination, and other requirements for animals. The student must know and understand these ordinances, laws, and regulations. The University has the right to require documentation of compliance with such ordinances, laws, and/or regulations, which may include a vaccination certificate or a veterinarian’s statement regarding the animal’s health. Cats/dogs must be spayed/neutered.  

• The University reserves the right to determine if the type or size of an animal is deemed as a reasonable accommodation and not a health or safety threat.

• Assistance Animals must wear a collar (if appropriate) with a tag that includes the owner’s name and contact number.

• The student is required to clean up after and properly dispose of the animal’s waste in a safe and sanitary manner. If the animal is a dog, the dog must be housebroken (no training pads permitted) and kennel trained.

• In the case of an emergency, the University is not responsible for evacuating the animal.

• The University will not ask for or require, a student with a disability to pay a surcharge or deposit for the animal to live in housing.

• The student is financially responsible for any and all actions of the animal, including but not limited to, bodily injury or property damage, such as furniture or floor coverings replacement. The student may be charged for any damage caused by the Assistance Animal that is beyond reasonable wear and tear. The student’s living accommodation must be kept clean with no odors from the Assistance Animal. The student’s living accommodation may be inspected for fleas, ticks, or other pests if necessary. If fleas, ticks, or other pests are detected through inspection, the living accommodation will be treated using approved fumigation methods by a University-approved pest control service. The student will be billed for the expense of any pest treatment above and beyond standard pest management in University housing. The University shall have the right to bill the student’s account for unmet obligations under this provision.

• The student is responsible for the appropriate management of the animal. Disruptive and/or aggressive behavior by the animal cannot be permitted, and if it occurs, the animal may need to be removed from University housing.

• The Assistance Animal may not be left alone overnight in University housing to be cared for by another student. The Assistance Animal may not be housed in another student’s living accommodation. If the student is to be gone overnight or for a prolonged period, the Assistance Animal must accompany the student or be placed with someone outside of the University.

• The student agrees to abide by all equally-applicable policies that are unrelated to the student’s disability such as assuring that the Assistance Animal does not unduly interfere with the routine activities of the residence or cause difficulties for other students residing in University housing.

• The Assistance Animal is permitted in University housing only as long as it is necessary due to the student’s disability. The student must notify the University, in writing, if the animal is no longer needed or is no longer in residence by emailing housing@uwf.edu and sar@uwf.edu. To replace an animal, the student must submit a new request to demonstrate that the new animal is necessary due to the student’s disability.

• If it is necessary for the animal to be removed from University housing premises, the student may be obligated to fulfill the Housing and Residence Life Contract obligations for the remainder of the HRL Contract term.

• Roommates will sign a roommate agreement to ensure that there are no conflicting medical conditions (i.e. respiratory diseases, asthma, severe allergies) that would be impacted by the animal living within the residence.  The University expressly reserves the right to consider the needs of both students in order to reasonably accommodate students whose disability will be impacted by living in proximity to an Assistance Animal.

• The owner must provide contact information for a minimum of two alternative caregiver/emergency contacts who will take responsibility of the Assistance Animal and remove it from campus should the owner be unable to care for it (i.e. accident, hospitalization).  The caregiver/emergency contact must reside OFF campus and must be available to remove the Assistance Animal in a timely manner appropriate for the animal species and needed care. Dogs must be removed within 6 hours. All other animals must be removed in no more than 12 hours.  In instances where it is determined the Assistance Animal is not being cared for, the University reserves the right to have the animal removed from University housing to ensure the immediate health and well-being of the animal. The University may have an Assistance Animal removed from University housing if it is not removed in a timely manner as specified by this procedure.

What happens if I need to have a different animal after I have been approved?

A new request must be submitted if the student wishes to change animals from the original request.