Starting a Sport Club
University of West Florida Sport Clubs are student organizations specifically registered within Recreation formed by students with a common interest in a physical sports activity that exists to promote and develop an interest in that particular activity. Organizations may request Sport Club status anytime during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Definition Of A Sport Club
University of West Florida Sport Clubs are student organizations specifically registered within the department of Recreation formed by students with a common interest in a physical sport activity that exists to promote and develop interest in that particular activity. The group has joined together and organized to further their interest and enjoyment in this activity as well as promote the mission and values of the department in an athletic manner.
Qualifications Of A Sport Club
- The club must be sport-like in nature and represent the truest of its specific sport.
- The club must be directly associated with a nationally governing body; membership within that body's association is suggested but not required.
- The club cannot be a duplicate nor have strong similarities with another active sport club.
- The club must be able to prove it has at least 10 active members at any given time.
- The club must have a faculty/staff advisor at all times.
Process For Forming A New Sport Club
Organizations may request sport club status any time during the fall and spring semesters. Any organization requesting to become a sport club must do so through the office of Recreation. The following is a step-by-step process for those interested in forming a new sport club:
- Meet the definition and qualifications of a sport club.
- Complete the Prospective Club Packet and submit to the Competitive Sports Office. The packet includes:
- Sport Club Petition that needs to have at least 20 signatures of interested participants.
- The requirement to draft a Club Constitution; every constitution needs to include the University’s Hazing Policy in its bylaws.
- Use this Constitution Requirements document as a resource when developing your club's constitution.
- The requesting club will need to present to the Sport Club Council during the next Sport Club Council meeting that occurs. The presentation should consist of a short explanation of your club’s interests, purpose, goals and budget. After the presentation, the Council will vote and the club will be notified immediately.
- If the majority of the Council votes in favor of the formation of the club, they will be granted provisional status and notified of further sport club responsibilities and privileges.
- If the majority of the Council votes against the formation of the club, the club may be encouraged to seek recognition as a Student Organization or provided other suggestions for future request.
If approved, the club must complete the following:
- Meet with a Competitive Sports GA for Officer Training.
- Create a page on ArgoPulse.
- Abide by all deadlines set by the Competitive Sports Office.
If additional funding is available, the Executive Board could distribute a small amount of money to help the club get started. The club must request those funds by submitting an Additional Funding Request form.
For more information about starting a new Sport Club or continuing your Sport Club on from the status of Provisional to Recognized, please review the Sport Club Handbook.