Climbing Event Overview
Thank you for considering the UWF Climbing Center for your event. We’re excited to have you! Most participants find climbing to be a fun, learning experience as well as a natural team-builder, so we think you’ll enjoy your time. Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your visit.
What to Wear
Climbing is an all-body sport, so you should wear athletic clothing that provides a full range of motion. We recommend you wear pants to protect your legs from scraping on the walls, and you are required to wear closed-toe shoes. Climbing shoes are available at no extra cost. Please bring your own socks.
What Not to Wear
Anything you don’t want to be scratched, dented or dropped should be kept off the walls. Jewelry, such as dangling necklaces, earrings or rings, can hook onto climbing holds and cause injury. Other hazardous accessories we recommend removing include watches, loose-fitting glasses, and scarves.
What to Expect
Assuming you’re coming for our recommended two-hour program, you’ll start with about 10 minutes of introductions, administration of participant waivers and a small tour of the Climbing Center. Next, you'll have a 5-minute safety briefing followed by a 5-minute briefing on the proper use of climbing equipment and then a 10-minute introductory climbing technique lesson. Finally, you will take this information and, with staff help, spend 90 minutes climbing the walls, bouldering, and belaying each other. Most will leave both tired and exhilarated!
- Climbing ropes won't support my weight. Climbing ropes look small, but they are designed specifically for climbing and can hold several thousand pounds.
- I can’t climb because I’m afraid of heights. Fear of heights is normal. Facing that fear is very rewarding for most climbers, and you don’t have to go to the top.
- You have to be in excellent shape to climb. Climbing is mentally and physically challenging, but we have wall sections and routes suited to all abilities.
Special Event Pricing
- $175 (up to 10 participants)
- 2 hours of facility access
- All necessary climbing equipment
- Setup & tear down
- $50 for every 5 additional participants, $75 for each additional hour