Welcome to High-Impact Practices & Experiential Learning
UWF is committed to providing students with the opportunity to experience learning outside of the classroom. Engaging in high-impact practices such as study abroad, service learning, or undergraduate research allows a student to have an enriched learning approach, which will also have a significant impact on the student's persistence to degree attainment.
Virtual Experiential Learning Resources
During this unprecedented time, we know that securing an internship may feel overwhelming. The UWF Career Development & Community Engagement team IS HERE to help!Virtual Experiential Learning Resources
Students who participate in high-impact practices (HIPs) and experiential learning are better equipped to face the challenges and demands of a 21st Century global society. Research suggests that students who engage in two or more HIPs are found to have higher GPAs and higher overall student engagement.
See below for additional benefits!
- Boost employability by building workforce-ready skills.
- Higher GPA and graduation rates.
- Learn and retain information.
- Engage with faculty at higher-than-average student/faculty interaction rates.
- Connect inside and outside the classroom.
- Receive personal and professional growth opportunities.
- Become eligible for one of several high-impact and experiential learning awards.
- Hire well-prepared, highly motivated UWF students.
- Develop a talent pipeline through partnerships that lead to improved employee retention and lower recruitment costs
- Observe and evaluate prospective employees under actual working conditions or through project evidence (e.g., ePortfolio review, community member participation at the HIPs Showcase, etc.).
- Encourage the advancement of new, innovative ideas to bring to the organization at a relatively low cost.
- Collaborate with the University to improve the overall professional development and workplace readiness of future professionals through mentorship with students.
- Build opportunities for scholarship and research (publication and conference participation).
- Receive recognition by departmental and university leaders.
- Obtain funding for travel, course release time and co-teaching.
- Strengthen relationships with employers, community partners and other members of the campus community.
- Serve well-prepared, highly motivated students.
- Contribute directly to student employability.
- Impact university metrics and partner in the distinction of UWF as an institution that ensures its students are career-ready.
- Participate in the “fun” side of learning through leading programs including study abroad and service-learning initiatives.
Start Your Career with a Handshake
Handshake is the university-wide job posting system for students and alumni to schedule appointments with career coaches, stay up to date with career events, search for jobs, internships, Co-ops, and more.
- Current students will access Handshake via MyUWF and will have an account already created for them.
- Alumni will need to create a Handshake account and connect with UWF. Visit the Students/Alumni FAQs page on the Handshake at UWF website for more information.
Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:00:00 +0000Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:00:00 +0000
Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:00:00 +0000Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:00:00 +0000
Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:00:00 +0000Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:00:00 +0000