Who to Contact
The support resources on this page are available to all current UWF students.
A student advocate is an individual appointed by the Student Government Association president. The student advocate is available upon request to assist students with information regarding university policies, the Student Code of Academic Conduct, disciplinary procedure and the appeal process. Students wishing to speak with the Student Advocate should go to the SGA office located in the University Commons (Building 22, Room 227) or call the office at 850.474.2393.
The student ombudsperson serves as an alternate resource for all students to complement other existing channels of communication and conflict resolution. The role of the ombudsperson is to serve as a resource and designated neutral party for those who may have a University-related concern or grievance. Such problems may be related to grades, difference of opinion with instructors, interpretation of university policies, or other administrative issues. Students seeking guidance or assistance related to their University of West Florida (UWF) experience—both academic and non-academic—should contact the UWF Student Ombudsperson.
The UWF Student Ombudsperson
- Explain University policies, procedures, and appeals processes
- Outline the student grievance process, including processes for grieving decisions related to access to courses and degree credit
- Act as a resource/referral guide
- Listen to the student’s concern(s) and provide options for resolving the issue
- Work with the student and other campus officials to reach a resolution to the problem presented
- Provide legal advice
- Have the authority to change University policies or procedures
- Have the authority to over-turn decisions made by other University officials
- Act as a student’s advisor in judicial hearings or grievance processes
- If a student feels that a University policy or procedure is unfair, he/she may discuss the issue with the Student Ombudsperson. If, after reviewing the policy, the Student Ombudsperson believes that a policy change is needed, he/she will bring the matter to the attention of appropriate University official(s) for consideration.