Handshake Employer User Guide
Welcome To Handshake
Thank you for your interest in recruiting at the University of West Florida. We are excited to connect you with our students and alumni and provide your organization with free access to Handshake, our online career management system! Handshake allows you to:
- Easily interact with our students and alumni.
- Post your open positions.
- Register to attend our recruiting events.
If you don’t already have a user account and company profile in Handshake, you will need to do this first. If you already have a Handshake account with another school, you will want to connect with UWF.
We created this webpage to direct you to the proper articles with the information you need to get started with Handshake. If other questions should arise, or if you want to learn more about recruiting on campus at UWF, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We’re here to help!
The Office of Career Development & Community Engagement (CDCE) works with employers to post internships, cooperative education opportunities, volunteer and service experiences, as well as full-time and part-time positions for UWF students and alumni. These opportunities, which shall be referred to as "employment" for the purposes of this agreement, are listed through Handshake. Posting a position for UWF students and alumni indicates that you have read, understand, and agree to terms and conditions of the UWF Handshake Agreement outlined here.
UWF Handshake Agreement
- CDCE makes no particular recommendation regarding off-campus employers or agencies.
- Handshake is to be utilized to post employment opportunities only. Postings that incorporate advertisements of an organization's goods or services will not be posted.
- Some Handshake student profile information is self-reported. UWF students and alumni are expected to represent themselves accurately and those who do not could be prohibited from using CDCE services.
- The University of West Florida is not responsible for the relationship between the student/alumni and the employer/agency.
- The University of West Florida is not responsible for the safety, wages, or working conditions, or other aspects of off-campus employment or work, based on the service experiences of the student/alumni.
- Employers utilizing Handshake and CDCE programs will not discriminate in its hiring and other employment practices. Employers using CDCE resources will comply with federal discrimination laws and applicable state discrimination laws, regardless of the number of employees in the workplace.
- CDCE reserves the right to refuse to post jobs that do not support the educational mission of the university.
- All job listings and volunteer opportunities for UWF students and alumni are posted at the discretion of the University of West Florida CDCE staff. We will not post jobs that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity and sex), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
CDCE at the University of West Florida follows the Principles for Professional Conduct provided by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).
Please contact CDCE at 850.474.2254 with any questions or concerns.
My Profile: This section allows you to add your headshot, work experience, and any external links you would like to share with potential applicants. You are also able to change your profile information from the “Account” tab.
Company Profile: This section contains a dashboard of information including a synopsis of your organization, upcoming career events that coincide with schools you are recruiting with, and active positions you have listed.
Job: This section contains a listing of positions you have currently posted and at which universities they are posted for students and alumni to apply. You can also see expired positions in this section.
Search Students: This section allows you to search for students and narrow down searches of students with public Handshake profiles by specific majors.
Schools: This section allows you to see which schools have already approved your company to recruit with them.
Contacts: This section shows a list of your external contacts and allows you to add new contacts (much like an address book).
Events: This section shows your company’s upcoming events with the schools with which you have connected. If you are interested in hosting an event on campus such as an On-Campus Interview or Meet and Greet tabling session, contact Stephanie Dwyer (email@example.com). If you cannot find an event you are looking for, be sure you have connected with the school that is hosting it.
Handshake Employer Help Center
Unsure where to begin? Visit the Handshake Employer Help Center to begin or select one of our listed featured articles.
How to Create an Employer Account
Get started by creating your employer account in Handshake.
How To Post A Job On Handshake
You can post jobs on Handshake once you have been approved to recruit at the University of West Florida.
Understanding Applicant Preferences
When you post a job, you are able to select optional applicant preferences. We recommend not including them unless they are absolutely essential for the position. Otherwise, it may deter potential candidates from applying if they do not meet all preferences.
How To Search For A Career Fair
Would you like to search for career fairs in your area or for a particular career fair? Follow the instructions on the "How To Search For A Career Fair" page to search for career fairs in Handshake.
How To Register For A Career Fair
This guide will walk you through how to register for a Career Fair on Handshake. If you haven't already, you'll need to first sign up for Handshake. If you will not be attending the event yourself, please forward the fair's information to the representatives that will be attending.
If you have any questions, or if you are interested in additional on-campus recruiting such as an Argos Meet the Pros session or On-Campus Interview, please email High-Impact Practices & Industry Engagement Coordinator, Alex Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.