Student teaching is the capstone experience for students in the Elementary Education and ESE/Elementary Education degrees. During the semester-long experience, teacher candidates gradually assume full teaching responsibilities in a classroom with the guidance and support of an experienced teacher. Teacher candidates demonstrate that they can effectively provide diverse K-6 students with rigorous standards-based instruction and are prepared for their first teaching position. During the time a teacher candidate is engaged in student teaching, any outside employment or additional academic work (with the exception of senior seminar) must be approved by the Director of the School of Education.
- Complete all program coursework with a grade of C- or higher
- Minimum program GPA of 2.5
- Complete an application in Exxat or other requisite data management program as outlined by the department within the application window
- Fall – Application window is April 1 to May 1
- Spring – Application window is October 1 to November 1
- Passed all required FTCE Certification Tests by the close of the application window (May 1 for Fall, or November 1for Spring)
- Elementary Education/ESOL/Reading: Students in this degree must pass the Professional Education exam (PED), and the Subject Area Exam (SAE) for Elementary Education K-6
- ESE/Elementary Education/ESOL/Reading: Students in this degree must pass the Professional Education exam (PED), and the Subject Area Exams (SAE) for Elementary Education K-6 and Exceptional Student Education K-12
Fingerprinting and Background Checks
To comply with the Jessica Lunsford Act, all students completing a field experience in the State of Florida must be fingerprinted and complete a background check. Students should refer to their local school district website for procedures and costs for fingerprinting and background checks when they complete their application in the data management system. Students will not be allowed entry into a school without first completing the fingerprinting and background checks required by that district.
View the School of Education Clinical Experience Guide 2023-24 (PDF) for Field Experience, Secondary Practicum, Student Teaching and Apprenticeship Teaching.