Purple Heart Wavier Policy Modification -- Effective July 1, 2016
House Bill 1157 modified the existing Florida Statute 1009.26 eligibility for this tuition fee waiver.
New eligibility requirements are as follows:
1. If a service member is currently living in the State of Florida, but was a resident of another state at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the Purple Heart Waiver.
2. If a service member was a resident of the State of Florida at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the waiver regardless of where they currently reside.
- The Purple Heart Waiver provides a tuition and fee waiver for Florida military veterans who received a purple heart OR combat decoration that is “superior in precedence.”
- Here is a list of medals that would fall under the “superior in precedence” criteria:
- Purple Heart
- Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
- Silver Star
- Air Force Cross
- Navy Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Medal of Honor
- The Purple Heart Waiver covers the cost of tuition and fees toward a degree or certificate program up to 110% of the required hours for the program of study. An eligible student enrolled in any associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career and technical certificate program at a Florida College System institution would qualify.
- The wavier covers tuition and fees only. This means you will be required to pay for other costs, such as textbooks, housing and food.
To apply, go to your my.uwf.edu page and search for "Military Honor Waiver".