Frequently Asked Advising Questions

Answers to our most common Undergraduate Advising questions.

How do I make an appointment?
  1. Go to MyUWF.
  2. Login with your ArgoNet username and password. (If you are having trouble accessing MyUWF you can find help here)
  3. In the search bar type in SSC Campus.
  4. Select the SSC Campus service. This will open a new window to your SSC Campus.
  5. Click on the Schedule an Advising Appointment button in the top right.
  6. Choose why you would like to meet with an advisor from the dropdown menu. If you are unsure, you can always choose General Advising.
  7. Click Next to continue and choose an advisor. If you want to see a specific advisor, type in their name. If you have no preference, click Next to continue.
  8. Choose an appointment time that works for you and then click Next.
  9. The details of your appointment will be displayed. If you need to make changes, click Back. If this works for you, click Confirm Appointment.
  10. You have scheduled an appointment!



How do I receive my Advising PIN?

To receive your advising PIN, you must meet with an advisor. At this meeting, you will discuss current degree progress and map out future courses. Making an appointment is the easiest way to get in with an advisor. See the "How do I make an appointment?" FAQ for a walkthrough on scheduling an appointment.

As a first-time student to UWF, how do I register for classes?

Once you've applied and been accepted to UWF, you can register for classes and sign-up for a campus orientation through MyUWF. Online students are encouraged to orient themselves to the Online Campus.

If a class is closed (reached its maximum limit), how do I get on a waiting list?

There are two (2) ways to add yourself to the waitlist for a course; Using Schedule Planner (if you need assistance planning your schedule) OR using the standard Add, Drop, or Withdraw option (if you already know the CRN's of the courses you want to take). In Add, Drop or Withdraw, you must type the CRN in the box at the bottom of the page and submit. You will not be able to access the waitlist by clicking on the "Class Search" button on this page. If a course has seats available, you will NOT have the option to add yourself to the waitlist.  If the course is closed, and the waitlist is available, you will have the option to select "waitlist" to be put on the waitlist. You will receive an email at your UWF email account if a seat becomes available. YOu have 24 hours to register after receiving the email or the seat will be given to the next person on the waitlist. For more information on Waitlists, you can visit UWF Confluence Using Waitlists.


Adding or Changing a Major or Minor

When can I declare a Psychology major?

You can declare Psychology as your major when you are first admitted to the university or anytime during your undergraduate academic career. You must have a 2.5 GPA and be in good academic standing. The following prerequisites are required prior to taking upper level Psychology coursework: PSY2012 – General Psychology, STA2023 – Elements of Statistics, BSC1005 or ZOO1010 – General Biology or Zoology and any 1000/2000 Psychology course (CLP, DEP, EAB, EXP, INP, PCO, PPE, PSB PSY, SOP)

How do I change my major to Psychology or another program?

To change your major, you must see your advisor to discuss the change. Make an appointment through the Grades First app in MyUWF. You can view the "How do I make an appointment?" FAQ for a walkthrough.

What if I do not meet the GPA to change my major?

You have several options to assist you in changing your major: (1) You can use grade forgiveness and repeat a course to achieve a higher grade, (2) you can take additional coursework in your major to improve your GPA or (3) you can meet with your advisor for other options and to discuss meeting with some one in the new department.

What should I enroll in if I have not changed my major to Psychology and have completed all general education requirements?

You can meet with an Advisor and they will assist you in choosing Psychology courses to take while your Major Change form is being processed. Should you delay in submitting the Major Change form and your request is denied, the Psychology courses will count towards your overall university requirements.

How do I declare a Psychology minor or another program’s minor?

You can declare a minor by scheduling an appointment with a psychology academic advisor to discuss the addition of a minor. Please note that neither diplomas nor certificates are issued for completion of the minor.

Upon completion of minor course work, you must meet with an advisor so they can initiate a Minor Completion.

What minors work best with my Psychology major?

Depending on your area of interest and where you set your future goals, the University of West Florida programs offer a variety of minors that work well with the Psychology major. Make an appointment with an Advisor to review a listing of all minors and those that have been most popular with previous Psychology majors.


Upper Division Coursework

Can I register for upper division Psychology courses if I have not declared a Psychology major?

Yes. Psychology courses are open to all non-majors. Many of our courses are excellent compliments to other major programs. The course instructor does have the option of cancelling enrollment for students who have not completed the prerequisites for the course.

Can I take upper division Psychology courses even though I am in my first year of college life?

During your first year, as a freshman or sophomore, it is wise to complete your general education requirements and the lower division prerequisites for the Psychology major. Satisfying these requirements should be your highest priority before you begin the core components of the Psychology major. Meet with an Advisor to assist with your transition into the major.

Will the Abnormal Psychology, Developmental Psychology, or other Psychology courses I took at my community college count toward the Psychology major?

No. All Psychology courses taken at a community college are lower division courses. These units will count toward graduation requirement totals and to meet the prerequisites for the program.



Why do Psychology majors need mathematics courses like Statistics?

Psychology is a data-oriented, empirical science that relies heavily on mathematical concepts. Clinical and counseling areas of Psychology are now emphasizing evidence-based therapies and the foundations of diagnosis involve some of the most complex statistical analyses.



Does a core course count if I get a D in it?

No. For core content courses in Psychology, you must earn a grade of “C” or higher for the course to count towards your major requirements. A grade of “D” will only count if the course is considered a Psychology elective. Any transfer work that is substituted for a core content course must have a grade of C or better.

If I get a D or an F in a course and retake it, does the new grade replace the old one or do I receive the average?

A student may receive credit for a course only once regardless of how many times it is taken, whether transferred or at UWF. All attempts at UWF count in the GPA unless grade forgiveness is used.

Which grades are used to calculate the GPA in the major?

The university only calculates those grades for Psychology core requirements that were completed at UWF. For the university GPA, course work completed in any student classification, including non-degree, taken at UWF will be included in the undergraduate GPA, determined by the level of the course.


Exceptions or Substitutions of Transfer/Study Abroad Credits

How many credits may I transfer toward the major in Psychology?

There is not a limit on the credit hours that you transfer toward Psychology core requirements, however, you are required to complete 18 hours of Psychology coursework at UWF to receive a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. The university requires that you complete 30 hours in residency to receive a bachelor’s degree from UWF.

If I enroll in a Study Abroad program, will I be able to take courses there that will count toward my Psychology major or minor?

In most cases, yes. Credits toward the required four electives are typically approved. It can be more difficult to match the content of our core courses, but some of these might be found at major universities abroad. In general, we encourage student to seek opportunities to study abroad as this is a valuable experience and we will work with you to assist in completing the major as effectively as possible. All courses must be approved by the Department Chair.


Service Learning and Directed Study (Unscheduled Teaching)

How do I sign up for service learning?

Psychology considers service learning as a stand-alone course in a student’s field-of-study that is unpaid, independent and with a nonprofit agency for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours and requires that each student perform 30, 60, or 90 hours of volunteer work respectively for each credit hour. In service learning, a student will earn academic credit while performing service in an environment directly related to their major.

A faculty sponsor directs the student’s work with a non-profit agency in the community. The student and the faculty sponsor agree on learning objectives and an action plan to be accomplished during the service.

Handshake helps to connect the student with a community agency with a need. The student will keep a journal, write a paper, and earn academic credit. The service learning project should accomplish the objectives and action plan discussed with the faculty sponsor and must include a reflection about the experience.

After making service learning arrangements with a faculty member you should contact your psychology academic advisor.

If I do volunteer work in a relevant area of Psychology, can I obtain credit toward the major as an internship?

Yes, if you are working with a faculty member who has agreed on the learning objectives and requirements for the service learning experience and you are signed up for your volunteer hours at Volunteer UWF. A student is only allowed to complete 4 credit hours of service learning towards the Psychology degree.

Am I required to take a non-classroom course such as directed study or service learning?

No. These courses are used to count as one of your Psychology electives or additional upper level coursework required to complete all university requirements. We strongly encourage you to think about completing a directed study or service learning applied experience if you wish to pursue an advanced degree in the field of Psychology. Talk with your faculty advisor to see if this experience is right for you.

How do I sign up for a directed study?

Independent directed study is available for students who wish to study or do research under the direction of a faculty member for topics or areas not detailed in regularly scheduled courses. You should make arrangements for a directed study with the faculty member whose area of expertise matches your interest. Credit hours and requirements are determined by the faculty member of the study. Refer to the question on how to get involved in a research project for the direction to use to approach the instructor of your interest.

After making directed study arrangements with a faculty member you should contact your psychology academic advisor. 

How can I get involved in a research project?

Each faculty member has their own individual research lab where students can assist in ongoing experiments or projects. To find out each faculty members research interests, view the faculty listing on our school website. Make an appointment with the faculty member whose interests meet yours and come prepared with a synopsis of what type of research you would like to conduct and what results you would like to obtain. Have an idea of how you would conduct this research. If you only want to volunteer as a participant, many of the ongoing projects of faculty and graduate students are listed on the doors throughout the building, or ask one of your instructors if they know of any project you can volunteer for.


Other FAQs

When do I apply for graduation?

You must submit an Application for Graduation to the Registrar.  Search “Apply to Graduate” on your MyUWF Desktop.  It will bring you to the Student Records menu.  Complete the Dynamic Online Form.  You should discuss this form with your Academic Advisor at your Pre-Graduation Audit appointment.  You will schedule this appointment with your advisor through Navigate (also on your MyUWF Desktop).

What is the Certificate in Human Resources and how do I obtain it?

The Certificate in Human Resources is designed for undergraduates who wish to complete a module of Psychology courses related to the management of human resources. This Certificate can be earned by students who are majoring or minoring in Psychology, majoring in other fields such as management or enrolled as special students (with or without a bachelor’s degree). For Psychology majors or minors, these courses may be included in degree requirements.

Award of the Certificate requires completion of the 15 semester hours of specific course work with an average of 2.0 (C) in all work included in the Certificate. For more information visit the Certificate in Human Resources web page, and to enroll email Dr. Sherry Schneider at to sign up and pick your elective.