Master of Psychology, M.A.
The Master's program in Psychology is designed to provide a thorough foundation in psychological theories and research, as well as opportunities for applied work for those who plan to enter the job market after completing the Master’s degree. Students who plan to enter doctoral programs will find that we also provide excellent preparation through research experience and opportunities to present and publish their work.
The M.A. in Psychology provides students with the study of human behavior. Graduate training in Psychology entails in-depth exploration and understanding of the core foundations of the biological bases of behavior, the social bases of behavior, the acquired bases of behavior, and the individual bases of behavior. As a scientific discipline, the study of psychology also requires competence in research methodology, statistics, and critical thinking. Psychology is an applied discipline, with applications in clinical health and mental health, business, and education. Students completing a master’s degree in Psychology will be prepared to pursue a wide range of careers at the master’s level or to pursue advanced training at the doctoral level. There are three areas of concentration in the master’s program: Applied Experimental, Counseling, and Industrial-Organizational. The student also has the option of fulfilling requirements for a certificate in Health Psychology in addition to the requirements for the master’s degree.
Why choose Psychology at UWF?
- The education and development of the individual student is our primary concern.
- We value teaching as much as research. Most classes are small, and students have easy access to faculty.
- Most classes are taught by our doctoral-level faculty. In addition, courses are taught by experienced local researchers and practitioners, as adjunct professors.
- Students interested in research may become involved in a wide range of existing research programs or pursue topics of particular interest or value to them.
- Many graduate students become authors on publications while at UWF, often as senior author. Publications greatly help students get into doctoral programs, attain desired employment and receive research funds.
- Many UWF students go on to doctoral programs or degree-related employment. By maintaining a quality program at UWF, we have facilitated our graduate students’ admission to doctoral programs and meaningful employment.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Graduate Catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials. Using our Department Admission Matrix, the following criteria are assessed to determine the potential success of each applicant:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Verbal and Quantitative score
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA
- Psychology undergraduate GPA
- Submission of letter of intent
- Submission of three letters of reference
- Field experience or skill sets
- Interview, if applying to the Counseling concentration
Applicants can assume that their files are incomplete until they receive a notice from the Department of Psychology indicating that files are complete. For more information about admissions, please see our Psychology Application Guide page.
The University of West Florida Graduate School has established a set of graduate admission requirements for all graduate programs at the university.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
Applications for admission for summer and fall semesters are due on the preceding February 1st. This application is for the Department of Psychology only and supersedes all other published deadlines. Files completed after the published deadline may not be reviewed in time to enroll in the desired semester.
Have more questions?
For additional information, or to schedule an appointment with our Graduate Recruitment office, please feel free to contact us by e-mail (email@example.com), or by phone (850-474-2969).
Tour Our Campus!
What better place to launch your personal business plan than a place in the Florida sun? We invite you to visit the campus and judge for yourself. Guided campus tours are available on demand and leave from the Visitor's Center.Visit UWF
At UWF, we realize that each student has individual aspirations. That's why we offer a unique educational experience that paves the way for you to impact the world through an exciting career. Ready to start your journey?Apply Now