Clinical Preparation: Practicum and Internship
For their required practicum and internship activities, our students successfully secure training positions in a variety of mental health agencies and hospitals in the Pensacola and Northwest Florida areas. The range of opportunities allows each student to obtain supervised clinical experiences in a setting that allows for their professional growth and pursuit of specialty interests.
In the 3-semester practicum and internship sequence, the student completes 1000 hours under the supervision of a mental health professional on-site (usually a licensed psychologist or mental health counselor), in addition to clinical faculty members who oversee the student's training experiences within the context of practicum/internship classes. During the course of this year-long experience, the student participates in clinical activities as a member of the professional mental health staff. Successful completion of practicum/internship may sometimes result in offers to join the agency in which they do their training.
Some of the settings for placement include:
- University of West Florida Counseling Center
- Lakeview Center Inc., the community mental health center for Escambia County
- Lutheran Services Florida, Youth and Family Services
- The Friary, substance abuse treatment center
- Veteran's Administration Outpatient Clinic, Pensacola
- Escambia County Jail
- Pensacola State College
- West Florida Hospital
- CDAC Behavioral Healthcare