Study Guide --- Test 3
You should be able to answer the following questions:
1) Explain the relationship between satisfaction and the following: a) absenteeism, b) turnover, c) performance and d) various personality factors.
2) Explain the association between work and life satisfaction.
3) Describe the following motivation theories and how they can be applied: Equity Theory, VIE (or Expectancy) Theory, Goal Setting, Reinforcement Theory, Self-Determination Theory
4) Explain how goal setting can be used to increase motivation and performance.
5) State how the perceived following associations affect motivation: a) the relationship between performance and outcome attainment and b) the relationship between effort and performance (from VIE theory).
6) Explain the possible behavioral and cognitive reactions to perceptions of underpayment (Equity Theory)
7) Summarize the trait approach to leadership, including the construct of self-monitoring.
8) Describe the Leader-Member Exchange Theory of leadership (LMX) and how employees get selected into in-out groups.
9) Explain the basic approach of the path goal model of leadership, including the four styles (categories) of leadership behaviors.
10) Explain how the Vroom-Yetton model of decision-making works and the key variables that direct which leadership style to use.
11) State the health effects of downsizing of those laid off and surviving.
12) Explain the various factors that can lead to workplace violence.
13) Describe the various types of organizational justice and commitment that exist.
14) Describe the various aspects of the job characteristics model including the outcomes that occur.
15) Explain the different types of power that exist and the typical reactions of employees to the use of certain types of power in organizations.
16) State the pros and cons of participative decision-making efforts.
17) Explain the effects of various workplace stressors (e.g., cold, heat, task-realted, social-related, work-schedule-related).
18) Discuss the impact of work schedules on employees (shiftwork, flextime, 4/40 week).
19) State the factors that can influence accidents at work.
20) State the basic premise of cognitive resource theory and how this relates to accidents,
21) Describe the role of OSHA and some of its limitations.
22) Describe Psychological Capital, it's components and effects.
23) Explain the various types of work family conflict.