Industrial-Organizational Psychology Study Guide Test # 2
You should be able to answer the following questions:
1) Define the selection ratio (SR) and state why it is important. Explain how it interacts with the validity of a test.
2) Describe the multiple regression, multiple cutoff, and multiple hurdle approaches to making personnel decisions. State the pros and cons of each method.
3) Summarize the key aspects of an orientation program.
4) Discuss the purpose and components of a realistic job preview (RJP).
5) Discuss the various components of a training needs analysis.
6) Explain the various types of criteria (reaction, learning, behavioral, results) that can be used to evaluate training programs.
7) Summarize the various types of training approaches that are available (e.g., lecture, simulations, OJT) and the pros and cons of each.
8) State the process and uses of performance appraisals.
9) Describe the process (steps) for developing a Behaviorally Anchored Rating Scale (BARS).
10) Explain the most common types of rating scale errors.
11) State the various sources that are available for performance appraisal data (e.g., supervisors, peers) and the pros and cons of each.
12) Describe and differentiate the various types of performance appraisal techniques (e.g, ranking, pair-comparison, rating scales, BOS).
13) Differentiate between objective and subjective types of performance appraisal data and the pros and cons of each.
14) Describe the key features of a legal and sound performance appraisal program.
15) State the basic protections of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (1964), the process of disparate treatment versus disparate impact discrimination, the
definition of a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the key factors regarding affirmative action.