Friday, November 4, 2011
Update on the Search for an Interim Provost
Dear Campus Community,
I am writing to provide an update regarding the interim provost placement process. We are working with the Registry to identify an interim provost. The Registry is a company solely focused on placement of interim presidents, provosts and other senior-level officers in higher education. The Registry has more than 300 members, of which 70 are currently placed in interim service at colleges and universities across the country. More information about the Registry can be found on their website at http://www.registry-online.org/default.asp.
Dr. Tom Langevin, founder of the Registry, recently visited with us for three days with the purpose of learning about our institution and developing a list of expectations and requirements for our interim provost. During his visit, he met with various groups, including representatives of the Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, SGA, Deans Council, President's Cabinet and Academic Visioning Leaders.
Based upon the input he developed a list of expectations for our interim provost. Some of those expectations include:
- Move forward with the Academic Visioning recommendations;
- Carry on a new Integrated Strategic Planning /Budgeting effort;
- Maintain the ongoing activity underway for a forthcoming accreditation report to SACS in 2015;
- Advance the initiatives that are anticipated during the next year to:
- Expand the number of traditional residential students;
- Expand the relationship to the military;
- Expand the number of adult learners and the existing on line courses.
- Maintain broad and effective communication throughout the Academic Community;
- Carry on the University’s assessment and accountability procedures.
The Registry will now identify candidates for our consideration. As it is designed to do, the process will move quickly, and candidates will visit campus within the next few weeks. Because this is an interim appointment, the interview schedule is not as extensive as a search for a provost requires. However, you will have an opportunity to meet the candidates in an open forum.
The interim provost will begin service at the beginning of the spring semester. We will conduct a national search for the provost position, and the interim will not be eligible to apply. More details on candidates and their schedules will follow. Thank you for your continued support during this important transition.