Argos for Autism
The Argos for Autism Program (AAP) is a Beyond Access service offered by the Student Accessibility Resources that provides academic, social, life skills, and career planning support to students with autism who attend the University of West Florida. The goal of the AAP is to enhance their college experience by providing assistance with navigating the college experience.
Through 1:1 individualized support and guidance students receive assistance with navigating their UWF experience. Weekly coaching for students is provided by SAR staff to address individual needs. During coaching sessions, the students work with their coaches on one of the following four areas:
Address specific executive functioning deficits to help students improve academic skills:
- Academic planning/prioritizing
- Monitoring academic progress
- Utilizing academic resources
- Time management and organization
- Study Skills
- Notetaking strategies
Social and Community Involvement
Assist students with navigating social life in college:
- Engaging with extracurricular clubs and events
- Speaking with professors
- Working in groups
- Negotiating residential experience
- Recreational activities
Transition and Life Skills
Address issues with activities of daily living, such as:
- Self-advocacy skills
- College essentials (Priority Registration, Financial Aid, Advising, etc.)
- Community living
- Health and wellness resources (CAPS & SHS)
Guiding students through UWF Career Services Resources:
- Interviewing skills, resume writing, career coaching
- Self-presentation skills
- Internships, volunteer work, etc.
- Selecting a major
If you would like to participate in the Argos for Autism Program and would like to be scheduled to meet with a coach, please complete the Student Academic Coach Request Form and select "Argos for Autism Program" under the areas for which you are requesting service.
For additional information, please contact SAR at (850) 474-2387 or email@example.com or stop by our offices in Building 19, Room 100D.