Student Resources

Students interested in undergraduate research and scholarly activities can find information about finding a faculty mentor, research internship and scholarship opportunities, and apply for funding through the Office of Undergraduate Research.

Student with Faculty Mentor

Faculty Mentor

If you are looking for an undergraduate research mentor at UWF, the best place to start is by locating your major departments website. Most departments have faculty listings with descriptions of their research interest. Try to identify several faculty you may be interested in working with and make an appointment to talk to them in person. Don't forget to look at departments related to your area of interest.

OUR Project and Travel Awards

The OUR provides support for undergraduate scholarly activities across all disciplines at the University. Student Project Awards and Travel Awards are indented to foster research partnerships between faculty and UWF’s most promising undergraduate students.

Apply for Funding

Student Scholar Symposium

The Student Scholar Symposium features scholarly and creative works produced through collaboration between UWF students and faculty. Students who receive funding through OUR for project and travel awards will need to present at the Student Scholars Symposium. Other student presentations (undergraduate and graduate) are encouraged!

Student Scholar Symposium

Student Opportunities @ UWF

Upcoming Event: "Applying to Graduate School: The Do's and Also-Do's," Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 12 PM, Building 41, Room 115

UWF Seminar - Getting Into Graduate School PictureJoin Kyle Harwell, UWF graduate student in Psychology, as he discusses the graduate school application process.  This event is a part of the UWF Center on Aging's Aging Insights Seminar Series.

External Student Opportunities

In addition to the numerous opportunities for undergraduates to pursue research and creative activites in various disciplines under the direction of faculty mentors at UWF, there are also intensive research opportunities offered by external groups. These external opportunities may include summer research programs, internships, and more. We encourage UWF undergraduate students to consider participating in an external opportunity. For more information, about specific opportunities, contact

Current Opportunities
Program DescriptionProgram TopicsTarget Student GroupStipendApplication Deadline

Preparing Future Researchers

University of Central Florida

May 28-July 29, 2015

Chemistry, Criminal Justice, Security Studies, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Optics and Photonics

  $4000 stipend February 2, 2015


Boulder, Colorado

June 8-July 31, 2015

Geology, geomorphology, hydrology, seismology, etc. Freshmen or Sophomores Program pays for travel costs, housing, and a stipend + support for faculty mentor at home institution February 10, 2015

Research Experience for Pre-Service Teachers

Nashville, Tennessee

May 31-Aug 1, 2015

Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology Future Middle School Teachers  $4,500 stipend + travel to 2016 GSA conference in Denver  February 15, 2015

CUR REU in Physics and Astronomy

Multiple Locations across US

June 1-Aug 7, 2015

Physics, Astronomy Any undergraduate student – especially those with no previous research experience $500/week stipend + housing and assistance with travel costs February 20, 2015