The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) facilitates and supports undergraduate student engagement in research and scholarly activities. This activity involves faculty and student collaboration in original research that should result in some tangible product (i.e. publication, presentation, performance, or exhibition), but its most valuable contribution is the development of our students in ways not possible in traditional classroom settings.
OUR Student Spotlight
Student: Anna Downing
Faculty Mentor: Nick Croghan
Major: Art History
Art History senior, Anna Downing, was awarded an Office of Undergraduate Research Student Project Award in Fall 2014 to support her research project on art conservation techniques. Anna photographs oil and acrylic paintings (painted by UWF student Kenny Jordan) while using infrared lens filters; this technique allows sketches hidden beneath the paint to be seen without damaging the painting. She is trying to determine how many layers of paint she can see through and what factors (such as paint type or pigment) contribute. Such hidden sketches are used by art historians to learn more about an artist’s thought process throughout painting. The method is also used by law enforcement in testing for forgeries, which often use old canvases painted over. Anna will graduate from UWF in May with a degree in Art History. She plans to take some time to travel overseas and teach English and would eventually like to go to graduate school for cultural heritage management and protection.
OUR Funding Opportunities
The Office of Undergraduate Research is pleased to announce the call for proposals for:
Student Project Awards & Travel Awards
The Office of Undergraduate Research provides support for undergraduate scholarly activities across all disciplines at the University. OUR offers two types of awards: Student Project Awards and Travel Awards. These awards are intended to foster research partnerships between faculty and UWF’s most promising undergraduate students.
- Where can I find the application forms?
- How do I submit applications?
- Applications can be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also submit hardcopy applications to the Office of Undergraduate Research (Building 11, Room 110)
- When are applications due?
- The project application deadline is September 14 for Fall 2015 funding and November 16 for Spring 2016 funding.
- Travel applications are accepted at any time. However, your application must be submitted at least 2 months prior to the date of travel to receive funding consideration.
- Who do I contact for more information?
- For questions or additional information, contact Katie Greene at x2298 or email@example.com.
New this year
OUR Scholars Program
Students submitting a proposal for a student research award will have the option to be considered for participation in the OUR Scholars Program. OUR Scholars will commit to participating in professional development workshops throughout the fall and spring semesters.
If selected to participate as an OUR Scholar, the student will be eligible to request an additional $100 for support toward his/her research project.
New Award Recipient Requirements
OUR has initiated several new requirements for students receiving OUR awards, including increased reporting and accountability as well as outreach to the UWF community. Please see the funding application for further details.