Institutional Review Board (IRB) For Human Research Participants Protection
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Human Research Participants Protection is a federally mandated committee. Its purpose is to protect the rights and welfare of all persons recruited to participate in research activities associated with UWF.
UWF policy requires that all educational, training, or research activities involving human participants must be reviewed by the IRB prior to the recruitment of participants and initiation of data collection. This requirement applies to all research-related activities involving human participants at any UWF campus or conducted by any UWF faculty, staff and/or student.
In reviewing proposals, the UWF IRB is guided by the ethical principles outlined in the Belmont Report - respect for persons, beneficence, and justice. Only research that abides by these principles will be approved by the IRB.
To all investigators: It is a violation of regulations to initiate the research project prior to receiving IRB approval. Therefore, it is important that proposals be submitted to the IRB in a timely manner and with consideration of upcoming IRB meetings whenever the project involves completion deadlines (i.e. for publishing or thesis/dissertation submission). UWF asks that investigators please allow up to 4-6 weeks for IRB review.
IRB Committee Members
All IRB meetings are open to the public and are held the third Wednesday of each month from 3:00pm to 4:00pm in Building 85 Conference Room 102. The members of the board for the UWF IRB include the following representatives:
- Chair: Dr. Ludmilla Cosio Lima, Associate Professor, Exercise Science and Health
- Dr. Carla Thompson, Associate Professor, Research & Advanced Studies
- Dr. Wilson Maina, Associate Professor, Philosophy
- Dr. Susie Jans-Thomas, Professor, Research & Advanced Studies
- Dr. Giang-Nguyen Nguyen, Assistant Professor, Teacher Education & Educational Leadership
- Dr. Katherine Johnson, Associate Professor, Criminal Justice
- Dr. Sarah Luczyk, Director, Student Affairs
- Dr. Lisa Blalock, Associate Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Angela Blackburn, Assistant Professor, Nursing
- Dr. Felicia Morgan, Associate Professor, Marketing & Economics
- Dr. Green Waggener, Assistant Professor, Exercise Science & Health
- Dr. Kyle Hurst, Director of Research & Assessment, Hurlburt Field, Community Representative
For more information concerning the UWF IRB, please contact the UWF Research Integrity Office at email@example.com or at 850-474-2609.
Want more information about the IRB process?
To schedule an in-person presentation for your class or group, please call the Research Integrity Coordinator at 850-474-2609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of West Florida maintains a Federalwide Assurance (FWA) for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research and is a registered IRB with the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP).
FWA Number: FWA00002657
IORG Number: IORG0001310