VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Counseling
Veterans and Service members may receive Vocational Rehabilitation Services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development and job seeking skills coaching as well as Education and Career Counseling to get personalized counseling support to help guide their career paths and ensure the most effective use of their VA benefits.
For Veterans and Service Members
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (VRC) and Employment Coordinators (EC) are ready to help Veterans and Service members who have service-connected disabilities and an employment barrier/handicap find suitable careers. Your VRC will provide vocational counseling, refer you to appropriate opportunities and services specific to your needs, and help you reach your employment goals. If you are entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits and services, you will work with a Vocational Rehab Counselor to develop a personalized rehabilitation plan.
VA Vocational Rehabilitation provides a wide range of education and career counseling to Veterans, Service members, and eligible family members who are entitled to or participating in a VA education benefit program. These services are authorized by Congress under Title 38 of the United States Code, Chapter 36.
These services help the individual identify a career goal and choose an educational program to reach that goal. Counseling may also be provided to assist the student in overcoming barriers to academic success. Services include:
- Career Choice - understand the best career options for you based on your interests and capabilities
- Benefits Coaching - guidance on the effective use of your VA benefits and/or other resources to achieve your education and career goals
- Personalized Support - academic or adjustment counseling and personalized support to help you remove any barriers to your success
HOW TO APPLY:
Eligible Veterans and Service members may apply for either Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits or for Education/Career Counseling on-line through eBenefits by following these steps:
- Log in to your eBenefits account
- Select "Apply – Education and Training”
- Select "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" - be sure to read the program information and to update your contact information - and apply for either the "Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program" or "Education/Career Counseling"
If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session, in-person, at the nearest VA Regional Office.
Service members who have a disability that began or became worse during active duty and who have not yet received a service-connected disability (SCD) rating do not need to wait to apply.
For Service members: Ill or injured Service members who have not yet received a SCD rating do not need to wait to apply. Service members expecting a discharge that is other than dishonorable who possess a VA memorandum or Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) rating of 20 percent or more—as well as Service members currently going through a Physical Evaluation Board—may be eligible to receive VR&E services.
For additional information about Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Benefits or Vocational/ Education Counseling, please contact Rebecca Baisden, VetSuccess on Campus Counselor, at email@example.com or 850-474-2550.