Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked general questions.

Whom do I talk to if I have a Purple Heart or other combat award or ribbons?

Recipients of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence may receive a tuition and fees waiver.  The student must be enrolled in an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate, is currently and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the combat decoration a resident of Florida, and submits a copy of the Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214) as documentation that the student received the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence. The waiver is applicable for 110 percent of the number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.

If you have a combat award, please contact the UWF Cashier for more information and entitlements.

What do I need to do if I am taking courses at another school?

In order to certify for your classes, you need to make sure the classes you are taking at the transient school will count as credit toward your degree at the University of West Florida (UWF).  Go to and complete the online Transient Student Form.  The Transient Student Application is available online through Florida Virtual Campus at  You will receive an email confirming the courses at your transient college or university can be credited to your degree here at UWF.  Print out the confirmation email / Transient Student Form and turn in to the transient school along with your certification form.  At the end of the semester, you will need to send/turn-in your transcripts from the transient institution to UWF.

What will the VA Pay For?

The VA will pay for any course you take that falls under your degree program, minors and certificate programs as required for graduation.  For some courses, a letter from your academic advisor informing the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) that a course is required may be needed in order to certify it.

How Do I obtain Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits for Continuing Educational Programs?

Contact the University of West Florida's (UWF) Military & Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) to find out if the course(s) you are taking have been approved by the Veterans Affairs (VA) State Approving Agency (SAA).

How do I update my contact information / address?

VA --  Visit the MVRC to see our VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) Counselor.

UWF -- Open your MYUWF account.  Open the Contact and Privacy Info tab and update address.

What do I do after I apply for VA benefits on

Print a copy of the confirmation page that shows your confirmation number and provide to the MVRC.

What is the deadline to apply for VA Education Benefits?

Once you have identified where you want to go to school, please apply as soon as possible.  You can apply for the school and VA benefits at the same time, the sooner the better.

When will my classes be certified?

As soon as you submit a VA enrollment certification form via your MYUWF account, we start the certification process.  Once your benefits and all your classes are verified, they will be submitted to the VA.

How can I take classes that are not on my degree plan?

Contact your academic advisor.  If you get an email stating you need an advisor letter, forward the email to the advisor.  If you meet with your advisor, they may be able to update your degree works with the class.  Students that have an undecided degree must get a letter from the academic advisor listing the classes and stating the major to which they will be applied.

I was told one of my classes can't be certified, what can I do?

Change the class, add a minor, or get an academic advisor to approve the class on your degree works or in writing.

What do I need to do to become a Florida resident?

To qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, the student (dependent or independent) must submit documentation to the admissions office to prove they are a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, and must have established physical and legal residence in Florida for at least one year.

How many classes do I need to take to receive full time benefits all semester?

The answer depends on many variables:

Undergraduate: full time is 12 hours during the fall and spring semester for term 1 and 9 hours during the summer semester for term 1.

Graduate: full time is 6 hours each semester during term 1.

However, since there are 9 parts of a term, it is best to visit the MVRC and review your schedule with a transition coach to determine what your training time will be.

Other than college degrees, what other certificates can I apply VA benefits towards?

VA approves and certifies all classes listed on the VA WEAMS website for UWF and listed in the UWF PDF catalog.

How do I get transcripts from the military?

Log into