Intensive English Program
Welcome to the University of West Florida's Intensive English Program (IEP). Study English in the U.S.A on Pensacola Florida's beautiful Emerald Coast.
Since 1996, the program has provided excellent English as a second language (ESL) instruction with personal attention to students' needs. Our faculty and staff make great effort to help students learn English as well as American culture. We provide our students with a program to meet their academic, professional, or personal goals.
We invite you to search our website for the information you need about our program and activities. If you still have questions, please write or call and we will be happy to assist you.
Effective July 31, 2014, University policy AC-28.02-07/14 requires all current and new Intensive English Students to submit a new Mandatory Immunization Health History Form. For more information, please email email@example.com.
"When I came to the U.S. my English was not good. The IEP has really helped me with my reading, writing and grammar. The activities with the Cultural Ambassadors have been fun, and they have helped me with speaking." –Mohammed, Saudi ArabiaMore Testimonials
The IEP at the University of West Florida is located in Pensacola. Pensacola is a port city of approximately 300,000 on the Gulf of Mexico. It has 343 days of sunshine a year, and 20 miles of white-sand beaches. There is lots of nightlife, outdoor activities, concerts, plays, and other recreational activities.
Top 5 reasons to study English at UWF:
Location: UWF is located in Pensacola in northwest Florida. Pensacola has 343 days of sunshine a year, and 20 miles of beautiful white-sand beaches.
Small Classes: Students are placed in classes with no more than 15 students. This ensures each student gets individual attention. Our teachers and staff know our students by name.
Personalized Placement: Each student is personally evaluated on their proficiency in English. Following the evaluation, students are placed in classes that will best suit their level of English.
Cultural Ambassadors: We create opportunities for our students to practice speaking English as much as possible. The IEP offers a Cultural Ambassadors Program in which UWF students partner with IEP students for conversation practice.
Technology: All IEP classrooms are equipped with state–of–the–art computer technology.
The Intensive English Center at the University of West Florida was formed in March 1996 under the direction of the Office of International Education and Programs. The purpose of the Center, now the Intensive English Program, is fivefold:
- To provide high-quality instruction in academic English to non-native speakers of English who wish to improve their proficiency for study at an American college or university, or for professional or social purposes; to provide students with knowledge of the culture of the United States; and to recruit, orient, test, and place students pursuant to these goals.
- To provide English courses (ENS) for non-native speakers who have been admitted to the University of West Florida but who need to further improve their English skills.
- To provide specialized courses in English for professional, business, or social purposes as the need arises to meet the needs of the local community.
- To provide an introductory course and supervised practicum for university students in Education or English who wish to explore a career in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
- To provide expertise in intercultural communication for the University of West Florida and the local community.