Scholarships for Study Abroad
Explore available study abroad scholarships
Searching for Study Abroad Scholarships
A large number of scholarships are available to off-set the cost of study abroad. Scholarships include those that are UWF sponsored as well as several other organizations that provide funds to support this important learning experience. Scholarships are competitive and the application process varies. Early preparation and planning facilitates success.
Begin Searching Early!
The earlier you begin researching scholarships, the better your opportunity of identifying funding support. For best results, start researching possible scholarships one to two years prior to when you plan to go abroad. Most scholarship deadlines are well in advance of your program application deadline.
UWF Scholarships for Study Abroad
UWF provides different scholarships in support of student study abroad opportunities. Inquire about these scholarships of interest early to allow plenty of time to invest in your application.
- UWF Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for UWF students and is available for application to students applying to any study abroad location for summer, fall, and spring semesters or academic year programs. Two application cycles occur each year.
- Ashley Hardaway Theriot Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship, sponsored by her family and the Gulf Coast Citizen Diplomacy Council, provides one annual scholarship of $500 to off-set study abroad expenses.
- UWF College of Business offers a limited number of travel grants for their study abroad programs. Interested College of Business students should inquire about the College of Business Travel Grant with their academic advisor.
- UWF Hal Marcus CSE REAP Program is a competitive funding opportunity for students in the College of Science and Engineering at UWF. Direct inquires to your academic advisor.
- UWF Student Government Association Travel Grants may be available for study abroad. Students should consult SGA about opportunities and requirements.
Study Abroad Scholarships for Most Program Types and Locations
Several other study abroad scholarships are available to students. Sponsored by government institutions and private agencies, many are available but require careful planning to meet application criteria and deadlines. Examples of national scholarships awarded to UWF students include the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program, a competitive study abroad scholarship for U.S. undergraduate students receiving the Federal Pell Grant, and the Boren Awards for International Study which provides undergraduate and graduate students program funding for intensive language, culture, and area studies in places determined to be of critical U.S. interest.
Recommended Scholarship Search Engines
Several study abroad search engines are available to facilitate finding study abroad scholarships that align to your program type and interests. Although they are organized differently, you will find them easy to navigate and learn about available opportunities.
- StudyAbroadFunding.org provides a directory of programs for different types of abroad experiences and academic levels.
- Internationalscholarships.com offers searchable programs that can be filtered by academic major or country of interest.
- CollegeBoard.org offers searchable programs based on student interest areas and majors.
- GoAbroad.com Scholarships provides scholarship application tips and programs for various interests and majors.
Contact International Programs at (850) 474-2479 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising session. UWF departments sponsoring scholarships and travel grants, or sponsoring agencies outside UWF should be contacted directly about their study abroad scholarship opportunities.