How To: Structure Contact Information
May 1, 2015 | Web Services | firstname.lastname@example.org
The left column area provides a wonderful opportunity to highlight specific links, content, and information that your audience will be looking for. For many departments, this information could be a quick-link to a form that is frequently downloaded, or a series of links to important sites that didn’t quite fit into your upper level navigation. Regardless of how much or how little information you have to feature in this area, the most important information that this area should ALWAYS contain is your site’s respective contact information.
In this tutorial, I will guide you through formatting contact information in a side column. A general working knowledge of how to add and modify content within the CMS environment is assumed. The ideal content type to use would be: Side General Content
Properly Formatting Contact Info
While links and other promotional items are important, the one thing your left column should ALWAYS contain is contact information.
Your contact information should include at minimum:
- Entity Name
- Full Location
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Any other pertinent information can be included, (fax, alternative website, etc.,) but the primary name, location, phone and email should take priority.
An example of the formatting in action would look like this:
- Health, Leisure & Exercise Science
- Bldg. 72/Rm. 241
- 11000 University Pkwy.
- Pensacola, FL 32514
- (850) 474-2592
- The name of the department/entity should be at the top and bolded
- The address should be setup as “Bldg. #/Rm. #"
- The appropriate address should be present
- The phone number should be linked and formatted:
- (Area Code) ###-####
- The email address should be linked and formatted:
It is important for our mobile users that we link both phone numbers and email addresses in this area. While many cell phones will let you select numbers and call them, many do not and instead rely on the number to be linked to work through their device.
To Link a Phone Number
- In the text editor, highlight the full phone number and press the link icon
- In the URL area put “tel:” then, without a space, enter the full phone number
- An optional style can be applied to this link (as seen in the example text)
- Under Class choose "icon-phone"
- Click Insert
To link an Email Address*
- In the text editor, highlight the full email address and press the link icon
- In the URL area put “mailto:” then, without a space, enter the full email address
- mailto: email@example.com
- An optional style can be applied to this link as well - however it is not yet available in the list of styles. A basic knowledge of HTML is required to apply this at this time. If that makes you uncomfortable then feel free to skip this option as it's purely cosmetic. If you are comfortable, apply the class "icon-email" to the link using the HTML option.
- Click Insert
*Note that "mailto:" links will open the client's default email program or application. This cannot be set in the CMS!