How To: Mirror a Section
May 1, 2015 | Christina Anderson | firstname.lastname@example.org
Update: It is now no longer necessary to mirror the "Left_Column" to all pages within your site. As long as it lives under the root section, it will automatically appear on all sections below.
Mirroring this section is your best option, as it consistently displays the same content on all of your pages, making things easier for your audience to find, as well as making it easy to update on the CMS side.
In this tutorial, I will guide you through how to mirror any section (or content) throughout your website. A general working knowledge of how to add and modify content within the CMS environment is assumed.
Prior to mirroring your section you will want to organize your content in a manner that makes sense.
Moving this content after the section has been mirrored is not impossible, however, depending on how robust your site is, the CMS could take anywhere from 5 mins to over an hour to completely update on all your pages. Moving things around beforehand saves a lot of time!
How To: Mirror a Section
- Press the T4 logo at the top-left of the screen to return to the site structure.
- Navigate to the location of the section you need to mirror (staying within the main site structure screen).
- Using the golden drop-down arrow to the far right of this section, click “Mirror Branch.”
- Click “Select” and then choose the section you need to mirror your left column under.
- Keep in mind; your “Group Names” are not considered true pages. You will want to skip these in this process and only focus on sub-sections throughout the site.
- “Access Control Options” and “Retain Section/Content Link Targets” should remain unchanged.
- Click “Mirror”
Once you have completed this, you should be taken back to the main site structure, and, in the event this is your first mirrored instance of the section, there will now be a small arrow icon on the section folder that is pointing either in or out depending on which one you’re looking at.
Arrow Pointing Out: The section is being mirrored OUT to a different location
Arrow Pointing In: The section has been mirrored IN from a different location
This basically means the section you mirrored should have a tiny icon of an arrow point out, the new section you created should be located under a sub-section in your site, and should have a tiny icon of an arrow pointing in. If all this is happening, you’ve successfully mirrored your section!