The University of West Florida uses a Broadband Classification and Compensation system for staff employees (Human Resource policy HR-12.00). This system allows the University to focus on performance and market level by using a few, wide pay bands to determine compensation with an emphasis on management determination of pay rates. Broadbanding expands the focus from job content and scope to include the position relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities of the individuals doing the work, and thus enhances pay for performance (when applicable), better maintains a competitive job and compensation structure to aid in recruitment and retention, and streamlines administrative processes.
What are the benefits of Broadbanding?
- Facilitates pay for performance (when applicable).
- Supports dual career ladders, permitting supervisory and subject matter experts (technical experts) to be recognized.
- Facilitates career development by enabling employees to move within the same band while recognizing achievements with pay adjustments.
- Employees can receive salary increases when they improve job knowledge, skills and abilities without having to be reclassified.
- Enhances organizational effectiveness by producing flatter organizational structures and reduces the perceived need to create additional levels of classification and/or supervision to justify higher pay.
The Guidelines for Job Descriptions Evaluations/Comparisons provides a general description for making relative comparisons among job responsibilities.
The University Work Force Class Specifications provide the position code, a representative sample of the job requirements and the minimum qualifications for the classification.
Employees in staff positions complete an online job description to describe the duties and responsibilities performed in their position. The job description is the basis for each position’s title and pay band placement. The university utilizes the People Admin 7 (PA7) from PeopleAdmin to house job descriptions and post positions.
People Admin 7 (PA7) Guides
- How to Create a New Job Description
- How to Update a Job Description
- How to Make Supervisor Updates
- Academic Advisor Position Descriptions
Human Resources policy HR-20.00 allows supervisors to Hire an OPS Position without Advertising. When hiring OPS staff with or without advertising, please refer to the OPS Pay Plan for classification code and salary.