An outside activity includes any activity, compensated or uncompensated, which is not part of the employee's assigned duties for the University and for which the University has provided the employee no compensation. Employees are required to report their outside activities to the University and obtain approval to participate in these activities prior to engaging in them. In general, employees of the University of West Florida are permitted to engage in outside activities.
EXAMPLES OF OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
- Employment outside the University
- Independent contracting
- Service on boards for profit or non-profit agencies or businesses
- Candidacy for or holding public office
WHEN MUST A FORM BE SUBMITTED
- Each year by July 1st for non-academic employees and August 8th for academic employees for activities of a continuing nature;
- Each time an employee plans to engage in a new activity requiring disclosure; or
- Any time there is a significant change in an activity which has previously been reported.
WHY DO I HAVE TO REPORT
- Florida Statute requires that all employees must report conflicts and outside activities (See Fla. Stat. §112.313)
- University Policy requires it
- The policy and statute were instituted to create an environment of transparency and fairness to the citizens of the state
- Also to prevent abuse, including bribery, nepotism, and exploitation of employment
WHAT IF I DON'T REPORT
All employees, including those on any type leave, student employees and OPS employees engaging in outside activities requiring disclosure must complete an Outside Activity form during their employment with the University of West Florida.
An employee’s failure to fully and properly report outside activities and other interests or failure to follow any conditions imposed pursuant to the University’s approval of such activities may be grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.
PROCEED TO THE OUTSIDE ACTIVITY FORM.
- If you are a Dean, AVP, or Department Head, click here to proceed to the form (1 approval signature).
- If you are a Chair, Director, Supervisor, click here to proceed to the form (2 approval signatures).
- All others, click here to proceed to the form (3 approval signatures).
For additional guidance the University of West Florida Employee Code Of Ethics Policy HR 15.02-05/16 provides guidance to employees seeking to engage in outside activities. Employees in the Division of Academic Affairs should review the Academic Affairs policy – AC11.02-05/13.