Frequently Asked Questions

Please read our frequently asked questions below. Click on the corresponding arrow to find the answer. Call our office at 850-474-2463 or email us at if you have any additional questions.

1. Am I required to live on campus?

No. UWF does not have an on-campus residency requirement. Though we would love to have you live with us!

2. When should I apply to live on campus?

You are encouraged to apply as soon as you have chosen to attend UWF and you want to live on campus. 

3. How will I be assigned my room?

Residents are assigned their room in date priority. Please remember that you are not guaranteed to be assigned the room type(s) you request but we will make every effort to accommodate your request.

4. When will I be notified of my room assignment and roommate?

Room assignments and roommate information can be found on on the Housing Contracts and Services page. Students will also receive a postcard or email mid-summer as assignments are finalized.

5. May I select my roommate?

Yes. There is a space on the Housing Contract for applicants to make specific roommate requests. All roommate requests must be mutual and listed by all requested roommates. We do our best to honor those requests but we cannot guarantee them.

6. Can I bring a pet?

Students are permitted to have fish in aquariums less than 10 gallons. Other kinds of pets are not are permitted unless approved in pet-friendly housing

7. When can I move in?

Fall move-in begins in August, Spring move in starts in January, and Summer term residents check in throughout the semester. Please refer to our calendar or call the Housing Central Office at 850-474-2463 for more detailed information.

8. When do I pay my Housing Fees?

All housing fees are due on or before the established UWF “Fee Payment Deadline” each semester (Tuition, Housing and Meal Plan are due by the same date as determined by the University). 

9. How long is the housing contract in effect?

The Housing Contract is a two semester contract (Fall and Spring) or one semester (Spring Only). We do not offer “Fall Only” housing. Residents who move in beginning in the Fall Semester are held to the contract for both semesters. Spring Only Contracts are available

10. May I change rooms or residence halls once I move in?

Students may request room changes each semester 10 business days after the start of the semester. This period is called Open Room Change. During that time, residents may request to change rooms without reason. After Open Room Change ends, subsequent room change requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Room changes will not be approved for roommates who have not attempted to mediate their differences. Room changes are processed on a first-come first-served basis and their approval is not guaranteed. 

11. May I decorate my room?

Yes, minor decorating is allowed. You may not use any prohibited items or anything which may damage the room, walls or furniture. Painting, construction projects or furniture removal is not allowed. Please keep in mind that a Room Condition Report (RCR) is filled out each time a resident moves into or out of a room. This is to ensure the room is kept clean and serviceable. When you move out, you will be charged for any damage which is not documented on your RCR.

12. Is Housing open during holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter break, Spring Break, etc.)?

UWF residence halls and the apartments remain open during Thanksgiving, Spring Break, and all other holidays during the academic year. Please be aware that there may be reduced services during these times. There is a break housing fee to live in your room during the break periods between semesters.

13. Does the University offer insurance to protect my belongings against damage or theft?

No. As noted in the Housing Contract, UWF is not responsible for insuring residents' belongings. Residents are also encouraged to check with their parents/guardians to see if their insurance provides coverage or they may contract for private renters insurance.

14. Does University Housing close during hurricanes and severe weather?

In the event of a hurricane, the University may close, and all on-campus resident students and guests (this includes camp and conference attendees) will need to evacuate University Housing if determined necessary by the President of the University of West Florida. For severe weather situations residents must follow instruction of University of West Florida Staff.

15. What do I do if I need special accommodations?

A limited number of spaces are designed, or can be modified, to accommodate students with physical disabilities. The specified nature of your disability should be identified so we can work with you and try best to meet your needs and make your assignment. You are required to contact UWF’s Student Disability Resource Center to start this process.

16. What should I bring with me to campus?

You'll want to bring decorations, toiletries, linens, cleaning supplies, a lamp, some basic food prep items and other things to make your room your own. Please see our "What to Bring List" for more ideas of items that are good to have on campus.

Fill out my online form.