ArcGIS Help Resources
Many new users find ArcGIS to have a steep learning curve. Some functions of the software can be mystifying even for very experienced users. Fortunately, an abundance of helpful resources exist on the web offered by both ESRI and the extensive GIS user community.
- ArcGIS Help is the official software documentation and a highly recommended resource.
- The ArcGIS Forums are monitored by ESRI staff and very knowledgable users.
- Use the GIS Dictionary to navigate the GIS jargon.
- Presentations from recent conference technical workshops are viewable online.
- The GIS Stackexchange offers help on ArcGIS and other GIS platforms.
Adding data to ArcMap
Getting GIS data into your ArcMap project is the first step that many users get stuck on. Hint: Use the Add data button or command instead of File>Open.
Add XY Coordinate data from a table
Adding your data with coordinates from a table or spreadsheet is relatively simple if table is properly formatted.
Adding an un-referenced map or image
You can manually add location information to an unreferenced map, image or aerial photo through a process called GeoReferecing.
Create and edit a shapefile