The General Education curriculum at UWF is designed to provide a coherent program of study that promotes the development of a broadly educated person with the basic knowledge and skills needed to succeed in their university studies and beyond.
Message from the Dean
Welcome to the University of West Florida and the General Education program. As you are starting the journey to your degree, you will be taking General Education courses as well as some prerequisites related to your choice of degree program during your freshman and sophomore years. The General Education courses that you take will provide you with a high quality program of study that will help you become a broadly educated person and provide you with the knowledge and skill set you need to succeed in your major, as well as in your professional and personal life. We all need to know how to write and do mathematics in order to succeed, but your General Education courses will also help you understand how knowledge of the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities define us as humans. Further, your General Education courses will help you master the skills of critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, research, and analysis.
This website is designed to help you understand the meaning behind the General Education curriculum and the academic requirements of the program. General Education includes coursework in composition, mathematics, social sciences, humanities and natural sciences. The courses in the program cover a wide variety of disciplines. It is my hope, and the hope of the faculty as well, that you will use this time to explore new ideas and concepts and to broaden your horizons. I believe you will enjoy the beginning of your academic journey!
Dr. Greg Lanier
Dean, University College
- General Education Curriculum
- Associate of Arts Degree
- Career Services
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- First Year Advising Center
- Kugelman Honors Program
- Academic Center for Excellence
- MathStat Lab
- Degree Works Degree Audits
- Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Academic Catalog
- Writing Lab
An important component of a liberal education is the study of cultures other than one's own. As such, multiculturalism encompasses the appreciation of the values, expressions, and modes of organization of diverse cultural communities.
Gordon Rule Writing and Math Requirements
To fulfill the writing and mathematics requirement for earning the first baccalaureate degree, students are required to satisfy the Gordon Rule for writing and math. Students must have a grade of "C-" or better in the courses to successfully complete this requirement.
Vision, Mission and Values
The General Education program at the University of West Florida is here to provide a coherent program of study that promotes the development of a broadly educated person.
The University of West Florida General Education Program is exists to provide students with a cohesive and broad knowledge and appreciation of the arts and sciences, an understanding of the connections between knowledge of different kinds and how such knowledge is attained, and the basic knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their university studies.
- Caring - A safe and dynamic learning environment that encourages the development of individual potential.
- Integrity - Doing the right thing for the right reason.
- Quality - Dedication to uncompromising excellence.
- Innovation - Dedication to exploring and expanding the boundaries of knowledge.
- Teamwork - Working together to achieve shared goals.
- Stewardship - Managing and protecting our resources.
- Courage - Different by design.
- Global perspective - Viewing events and issues across diverse political, ethnic, and geographic points of view.
- Inquiry - Seeking knowledge and understanding through an interdisciplinary perspective.
Assessment Documents for Faculty
- Academic Calendar 2015-2016
- Assessment Guide
- General Studies Domains Matrix
Inclusion of General Education Courses Process
- CCR Process Calendar 2015-2016
- Preparing and Reviewing CCRs
- Sample Syllabus Statement
General Education State Reform
- General Education Steering Committee Recommendations (Summary 2013)
- HB 7135
- State Faculty Committees
Faculty Survey Results
- Summary of Faculty Input Regarding Gen Ed Reform (February 2013)
- Faculty Verbatim Survey Results Regarding Gen Ed Reform (February 2013)