About Academic Programs

Find out more about the structure of majors and minors and how they fit into your educational goals.

What’s the best way to find out about the major I’ve chosen?

1. Degree Works. Your Degree Works audit will display degree requirements and your progress toward completing those degree requirements. You can access your audit by searching "Degree Works" in MyUWF.

2. Academic catalog. From the list of available degree programs, select your program of study to learn more about program and course requirements.

3. Departmental website. A link to the academic department's website is in the academic catalog description of the program. Department websites may also redirect you to related professional organizations so you can see what kind of occupations the major can prepare you to assume after graduation.

How do I declare a major when I don’t know what I want to do yet?

You have numerous opportunities for exploration and your academic advisor is well trained to help you on your journey. In addition, your required General Studies courses will expose you to a variety of new perspectives that may help you discover what you want to do. The UWF Career Services Center also provides some helpful direction in making your choice. The links below can provide more specific help to you on this important decision:

How to choose a major
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Career Services
UWF Undergraduate Degree Programs

What if I decide to change my major?

If you are considering a change of program, you should first discuss possible outcomes of the change with your academic advisor. You may also do a "what-if" analysis with your Degree Works audit to see how any current and past credit will apply to other degree programs.

What if I want more than one major?

Choosing a dual major can provide you with greater employment opportunities following graduation. However, it is important to recognize that each major will require that you meet the individual requirements of both, so you will need to work closely with your academic advisor.

Dual major status could entail more time to graduation. To graduate with a dual major, your must officially declare a major in each department and college (as applicable) and get an advisor assigned from each program. Upon departmental acceptance, you must complete a Change of Major Form‌. When a dual major is requested, the catalog year for both majors will be the current catalog year.

A dual major does not require a minimum number of hours beyond those necessary for completing each degree requirement (minimum 120 sh). Requirements for both majors must be completed prior to the degree's being awarded. After successful completion of all requirements for both majors, you will be awarded one degree (for example, one B.A. or one B.S.) with both majors listed on the diploma and transcript. 

Should I elect a minor?

Pursuing a minor may be a good idea to help you develop distinctive skills sets and perspectives to support your major. Ask your academic advisor about what minors offer the greatest potential in relation to your career goals. You may declare a minor by submitting the Change of Major Form to the Office of the Registrar. To declare a minor, you must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate major. Specific requirements for the minor will be those listed in the academic programs section of the catalog that is in effect at the time the minor is declared. You should consult the minor department for questions concerning course requirements. A minimum of 12 semester hours of upper-division work must be completed in the minor, of which nine semester hours must be courses taken at UWF. You must have a minimum GPA of 2.00 in all UWF courses used in the minor. A list of minors is available in the undergraduate academic catalog.

Neither diplomas nor certificates are issued for completion of the minor. Minors are awarded in conjunction with the receipt of a baccalaureate degree and are recorded only on the academic transcript.