Satisfactory Academic Progress

Minimum academic requirements to remain financial aid eligible are included below:

Financial aid recipients must comply with UWF's satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirement for GPA, Completion Ratio (CR), and Maximum Time Limit (MTL).

1. Minimum cumulative UWF GPA

  • Undergraduate Students:
    • 1 - 29 hours: 1.80
    • 30 + hours: 2.00
  • Scholarship Recipients:
    • 3.00 - unless otherwise noted
  • Graduate, Specialist and Doctorate:
    • 3.00 - at all times

2. Minimum cumulative Completion Ratio for all students: 67%

Satisfactory completion means that a student must complete at least 67% of the courses in which they enroll with the following grades: A, B, C, D, P, and S. Unacceptable grades include F, N, U, I (incomplete), W, WF, WR, TR, V (extended incomplete) and X (audit). Transfer hours from previous institutions and repeat coursework are included in the completion ratio.


What is Maximum Time Limit?

Maximum Time Limit (MTL) is the number of credit hours allowed before a student is no long eligible for financial aid. For undergraduates this is 180 credit hours; 54 credit hours is the maximum time limit for a graduate student. All coursework taken is included in these totals (transfer hours, repeat coursework, withdrawals, F's, etc.) The maximum time limit for a second bachelor's, second master's, or doctoral student is 150% of the program length. If your academic program requires more than the standard 120 undergraduate or 36 graduate credit hours, the maximum time limit will be adjusted accordingly.

If I lose my eligibility for financial aid due to not meeting SAP standards, will I be able to receive federal student loans?

No.  Financial aid includes Pell grants, Florida state grants, federal direct student loans, and some university scholarships. 


If I lose my eligibility for financial aid due to not meeting SAP standards, will I be able to receive my private loans?

Students not meeting SAP standards may be able to receive private student loans, depending on the policies of the private loan lender.  When applying for a private student loan, students should inquire if their particular lender requires students to maintain university SAP standards in order to receive the loan.

I have been readmitted to UWF. Does this means that I am eligible for financial aid?

Not necessarily.  Academic suspension is separate from suspension or loss of financial aid.  Students who have been readmitted to UWF should contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to determine if they are eligible to receive financial aid.


I lost my eligibility for financial aid due to not meeting SAP standards. What can I do to regain eligibility?

Students not meeting SAP standards have the right to appeal the loss of financial aid.  Students must submit a 2016-2017 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form electronically through MyUWF.  Forms from past years will not be accepted for committee review.

 Students may also regain their financial aid eligibility by successfully completing coursework and bringing the GPA and/or completion ratio up to the SAP standards.  (2. GPA and 67% completion ratio)

Does submitting an appeal mean that it will be approved?

No.  SAP appeals are considered by the SAP Committee.  Each appeal will be considered at a scheduled committee meeting.  

Why would a SAP appeal be denied?

Appeals may be denied for several reasons:  the student did not list any extenuating circumstances beyond their control which prevented them from meeting SAP standards; third-party documentation was not provided to support the student’s appeal; the supporting documentation does not relate to the time of low academic performance.  

Additionally, SAP students must demonstrate that the extenuating circumstances which impacted their ability to successfully maintain minimum SAP standards has been resolved.  Failure to demonstrate that the circumstances have been resolved may result in the SAP appeal being denied. 

What are extenuating circumstances beyond the control of a student?

Extenuating circumstances beyond the control of a student are events or actions which may have impacted their ability to successfully maintain SAP standards.  Examples of extenuating circumstances include natural disaster (fire, flood); illness or injury of the student (cancer, extended hospital stay, mental illness); illness or injury of a parent or family member, and the death of an immediate family member.

What are not considered extenuating circumstances beyond the control of a student?

The following issues are not considered extenuating circumstances for SAP appeal purposes:  issues with employment (working excessive hours, time commuting to/from work, conflict between work and classes); difficulty of classes (major requirements, instructors’ teaching styles, transition from high school to college courses, transition from community college to a 4-year college); not being prepared for college (immaturity, lack of focus).   

What is supporting, third-party documentation?

Third-party documentation is documentation provided in a professional capacity by an individual or individuals not related to the student.  This documentation must be date and time specific and address the reason(s) given in the SAP appeal that the student failed to maintain SAP standards.  Third-party documentation should be written on company or office letterhead. 


Examples include medical records, statements from medical doctors or psychologists, death certificates or obituaries, and copies of legal or insurance records. 


Personal statements and signed statements from friends or relatives are not considered third-party documentation.  

What if I have a low GPA or completion ratio from semesters during which I paid out-of-pocket or did not receive financial aid?

In order to receive financial aid, federal regulations require that each student maintain minimum SAP standards.  Even if you never received financial aid in the past, you must meet SAP standards in order to receive financial aid for the current or future term.

What if I have a low GPA or completion ratio from years or even decades ago?

 Federal regulation requires all students to maintain minimum SAP standards in order to receive financial aid.  Even if you attended years ago, you must currently be meeting satisfactory academic progress standards in order to receive financial aid.

What I have attempted a high number of credit hours due to transfer work? Can these hours be excluded from my maximum time limit?

No.  All attempted coursework at the current academic level (undergraduate, master’s, doctoral) must be included in the maximum time limit calculation.  Hours attempted at other institutions may not be excluded, even if it is a foreign or unaccredited institution.

I have already earned a degree at my current academic level (bachelor’s, master’s). Can I appeal the maximum time limit?

Yes.  Students who are attempting a second degree at their current academic level may appeal their maximum time limit.  The student must submit a SAP appeal form and provide a copy of their course catalog to document the program requirements for their current degree program.  Students must have previously earned a degree at their current academic level to be eligible to appeal the maximum time limit based on enrollment in a second degree program.  

My SAP appeal was approved but I did not meet the terms of my appeal. Can I submit another appeal?

No.  All SAP appeals are approved with specific terms or conditions that the student must meet in order to maintain financial aid eligibility.  If a student fails to meet the terms of their appeal and does not otherwise meet SAP standards, they are ineligible to receive financial aid until they bring their GPA or completion ratio to the minimum SAP standards. 


My SAP appeal was approved, now what?

Approved SAP appeals have conditions which the student must meet in order to maintain fianncial aid eligibility. Students must sign a SAP agreement prior to any aid being disbursed.