Frequently Asked Questions

The Office of Family Programs is the centralized resource on campus for UWF families and students. Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions on a variety of topics. For other questions or additional information, please contact us by calling (850) 474-2079 or by emailing us at

Where can my student purchase textbooks?

Students can purchase or rent their textbooks online or in person through the UWF Bookstore located in the University Commons (Building 22). New and used traditional textbooks and eBooks used with CafeScribe are available. Textbooks ordered online through the UWF Bookstore can be shipped to your student's permanent address or can be held for pick-up in the bookstore on campus.

My student is not doing well academically. What academic support services are available?

UWF offers a variety of free resources to assist students in their academic development. The Learning Center, provides one-on-one and small group tutoring, computer-based instruction, test preparation assistance and supplemental instruction in most subjects. Refer your student to the Writing Lab or the Mathematics and Statistics Tutoring Lab if they would like more specialized assistance in either area.

Who is my student’s academic advisor?

All students who have less than 30 credit hours are assigned an academic advisor within the First Year Advising Center. Your student can contact the First Year Advising Center at (850)474-3170 or stop by Building 18 to find out contact information for their advisor.

I have a specific question about fees and fee payment.

Visit Student Financial Services FAQ page to find many answers to your fee-related questions. Please contact the OFP ( if you need additional assistance.

What is the deadline for my student to pay his/her fees for the semester?

The tuition payment deadline is the end of the first week of classes. UWF does not mail bills for tuition and fees. Students can access their MyUWF ( account to view their account balance. If tuition and fees are not paid by the deadline, a late fee of $100 will be assessed. Payments must be made in the Cashier’s office, online or postmarked by the due date to avoid the late fee. If fees are not paid by the removal date, students will be removed from their classes.

How can my student apply for financial aid?

The free application for federal student aid (FAFSA) or the renewal FAFSA is the application necessary to apply for federal financial aid at the UWF. Students must complete a new FAFSA every year. For more information, visit the Financial Aid Office.

What if I have a specific question regarding Housing and Residence Life?

Visit the Housing and Residence Life’s FAQ page to find many answers to your housing-related questions. Please contact the OFP ( if we can help with other questions.

Is Housing open during holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter break, Spring break, etc.)?

Residence Halls and the University Village student apartment communities at UWF remain open for residents during Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break and all other holidays during the academic year. Please be aware that there may be reduced services and staffing on campus during some of these times as many students do choose to leave campus. In addition there may be a break housing fee for the breaks between semesters. 

Does university housing close during hurricanes and severe weather?

In the event of a hurricane, the university may close, and all on-campus resident students and guests (including camp and conference attendees) will need to evacuate university housing if determined necessary by the President of UWF.

Can my student live on campus while enrolled in summer school?

Yes, housing is available for students enrolled in summer classes. Applications for summer housing will be available online during the spring semester on Housing and Residence Life’s page.

Can I obtain a copy of my student’s grades?

Student’s may view and print their final grades on their MyUWF ( account. In order to have access to his or her grades, you will need your student’s ArgoNet username and password. 

Where do I get proof of my student’s enrollment and grade point average (GPA) for my insurance company?

Students may access the National Student Clearinghouse through their MyUWF account. Search Enrollment Certification Request and then click on National Student Clearinghouse. This allows students to request an enrollment certification and a good student discount certificate if eligible. Online requests are processed immediately. Students may also obtain a verification letter by going to the Office of the Registrar in Building 18.  In-person requests will take 5 to 10 business days to process upon receipt of the original request.

How can my student change his or her permanent address on file with the university?

Change of address forms are available in the Office of Registrar, Building 18. Students can also submit a change request online through MyUWF ( by searching Personal Information. Your student’s current address should be their local address while they are attending UWF. Their permanent address should be their permanent home address and may or may not be the same as their current address.

My student was sick and had to miss several classes. What should he or she do?

Your student should contact his or her instructors and let them know about absences due to illness.  Instructors have their own attendance policy, which can be found on the class syllabus. If your student is going to be out for an extended period of time, he or she should contact the Dean of Students office at (850)474-2384.

Does the Health Center accept insurance?

The Health Center does not accept insurance. Students can pay with cash, check or their Nautilus Card. If they can’t pay at time of visit, they have until the end of the semester to pay. All information required for reimbursement from an insurance company is given to the patient when requested.

What does my student do if they become very sick at night or on weekends?

If your student becomes ill when the Health Center is closed, they should have someone take them to the Baptist Medical Park Walk-in Clinic located on University Parkway or to the West Florida Hospital Emergency Room located on Davis Highway. Each student should have their insurance card in case they have to receive medical care other than in the UWF Health Center.

My student is feeling anxious/stressed/depressed. Where can he or she go for help?

Please encourage your student to contact Counseling Services at (850)474-2420 for information on the variety of services available and how to set up an appointment. If your student needs to talk with someone immediately while the Health Center is closed, they may contact the UWF switchboard at (850)474-2000 and inform the operator they need to speak with someone from the Counseling Center.

My student lives off campus. Can he or she purchase an on-campus meal plan?

Yes, Dining Services offers a variety of meal and block plans with Argo Bucks for commuters to purchase. Meal plans are meals per week. Block plans are meals per semester.

What is the difference between the Nautilus Card and the HigherOne Debit Card?

The Nautilus Card is your student’s official UWF identification card. It also serves as their library card, copy card, access card, declining balance card (for on-campus purchases and services) and meal plan card.

The HigherOne Debit Card is a university refund/disbursement card with a variety of choices for refund delivery. Students may choose the “easy refund” method or select to have an ACH transfer of funds to an existing bank account. If your student selects the “easy refund” option, their refunds and disbursements will be deposited to their HigherOne account. Students may then use their UWF HigherOne Debit Card as a Debit MasterCard® that is accepted at stores worldwide.

What are Argo Bucks and where can my student use them?

Argo Bucks are flexible dining dollars that come with each meal or block plan. Argo Bucks are located on your student’s Nautilus Card and are accepted like cash in all on-campus dining locations. Argo Bucks expire at the end of each semester along with your student’s meal plan.

How can I add Argo Bucks to my student’s Nautilus Card?

Additional Argo Bucks can not be added to your student’s Nautilus Card, but additional funds may be deposited to your student's Nautilus Card Declining Balance account. Deposits can be made in-person at the Cashier’s Office located in building 20E or can be mailed to the following address:

Cashier's Office
University of West Florida 
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, Florida  32514-5750

When making a deposit by mail, please include your student’s name, UWF ID number, the amount of the deposit. An online Nautilus Card Deposit Card (PDF) is available for your use. Only checks or money orders are accepted by mail.

Online deposits can be made through MyUWF, which requires the use of your student’s ArgoNet user name and password. Once in MyUWF, search Nautilus Card and click on “Credit Card Payment/ Nautilus Card Deposit.”  Please note that deposits made via MyUWF incur a $15 convenience fee. 

My student wants to get involved on campus in a club or organization. Where can he or she go for more information?

Encourage your student to stop by the Student Activities office located in the University Commons for more information on how to become involved. There are over 100 registered student organizations in a variety of categories including academic, professional, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Honors, religious and special interest. If your student does not find an organization they want to join, they can start their own!

I would like to send my student a care package/birthday cake/etc. Does the university offer any service that would help me with this?

Dining Services offers an online convenience store companion site that sells birthday cakes, cookies, treats, birthday balloons, a welcome basket and gift cards that you may order for your student to pick up on campus.

Where can I find information about on- and off-campus jobs for my student?

The Office of Human Resources administers a student employment service that provides detailed information for job opportunities on campus. Your student can also visit Career Services for assistance with off-campus employment. For information about work study positions on campus, encourage your student to visit the Financial Aid office. Chartwells, our Dining Services partner, and Follett, our Bookstore partner, often hire students to work on campus as well.

Where can I find the most up-to-date information on tropical weather in the UWF area?

The UWF home page will reflect the most up-to-date information in the event of an emergency situation. WUWF Public Media also offers live audio and video streaming related to tropical weather situations.

How does my student sign up to receive Argo Alerts to their phone in case of emergency?

Your student can log in to MyUWF and search Argo Alert. In the event of an emergency at UWF, students who sign up for Argo Alert will receive text messages (SMS) to their text messaging enabled mobile device and/or instant message to a GoogleTalk IM account. Students will always receive an email to their university email address in the event of an emergency as well.

Does my student need a car?

Students do not need to bring a car to campus if they don’t want to or don’t have one. Parking & Transportation Services offers a trolley service that runs on campus Monday-Saturday and makes occasional routes to the Town Center Shopping area. The trolley service is free. If your student does bring a car to campus, he or she must purchase a parking permit--decal or hang tag. 

The UWF campus is also served by the Escambia County Area Transit (ECAT) bus service Monday-Friday. Bus passes are available to students--2 passes per day for free by showing a valid student Nautilus Card. Bus passes are available in Auxiliary Services, Building 20W, and Parking Services, Building 91. Route 43 serves the UWF campus. UWF has 2 stops shown as stop number 5, WUWF (Radio Station) and School of Science and Engineering (Building 4).

How does my student purchase a parking permit?

Parking permits must be purchased online by logging into MyUWF and search “Parking Permits." (Note: There is no convenience fee.)

My student is graduating. How does he or she order announcements, cap/gown, etc.?

Your student may purchase invitations and other graduation-related items in the UWF Bookstore located in the University Commons. Caps and gowns may now be purchased online at Herff Jones.

Where can I find information on my student’s graduation ceremony (date/time/place)?

Commencement will be held each May and December at the Pensacola Civic Center.  Please visit the Commencement page for complete information.

Do family members and guests need tickets or invitations to attend Commencement?

No, tickets are not issued for Commencement.  Students may invite as many family members and guests as they wish to attend Commencement. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Designated seating will be available for those guests who have special needs.

How can I arrange a campus tour?

Campus tours are offered Monday-Friday, weather permitting, starting from the Visitors Center in Building 81. Please contact Admissions at (850)474-2230 or Request a Campus Tour Today to schedule a tour. The campus tour experience is an estimated 2 hours.

Where can I park when I visit campus?

All vehicles parked on campus must have a visitor hang tag or parking permit, and must be registered with Parking Services. Visitor hang tags are available free of charge in the Visitors Center, the Police Department (Building 94) and Parking Services (Building 91). Visitors may park in designated visitor spaces or in commuter spaces. Visitor spaces are designated by signage and are located in lots A, B, H, K, P, Q and BB. If visitor spaces are unavailable, visitors may park in any commuter space.

What hotels are located near UWF?

For a list of hotels near UWF, please visit the hotels page.