Fire Drill Instructions
A summary of actions that must be taken when a building fire alarm sounds is as follows:
- Fire drills will be conducted this semester during normal business hours.
- All building occupants including classes must immediately exit the building. NEVER assume it is a false alarm.
- Immediately walk to the nearest exit.
- Close but do not lock doors.
- If a door handle is warm to the touch, open cautiously. If a door handle is hot, DO NOT open the door.
- When smoke is present, crawl low to the floor to minimize smoke exposure.
- If your egress is blocked by smoke or fire, go to the window and summon help.
- Building occupants should move away from the building to a pre-established rally location. The rally point must be out of the street and must not hamper access to the buildings by emergency responders.
- Attempt to verify that all occupants are out of the building.
- Instructors should verify all class participants exit the classroom.
- In the event some building occupants are trapped in the building, report their location to the firefighters.
- Do not enter the building until authorized by the fire department, UWF Police or EH&S staff.
- If a person with impairments needs assistance exiting the building, either lend assistance or move the person into a protected stairwell. Inform the UWF police or Fire Department of the location of the person so a rescue can be conducted immediately.