Endowments are crucial to a university’s continued success because of their longevity. The greatness of a regional comprehensive university lies not only in the quality of the education it provides, but in its responsiveness to the region it services, this cannot be achieved alone, but instead relies on shared dreams. We ask you to share in this dream by providing a gift of support that will help our students, faculty and programs.
Endowments Frequently Asked Questions
For additional information on endowments or other forms of giving to the University of West Florida, please contact University Advancement at (850) 474-2758 or email@example.com.
Benefits to University of West Florida
Endowment dollars enable us to sustain growth and increase our reputation for quality. As well as successfully compete in the higher education marketplace to attract and retain a talented and diverse student body. Need-and talent-based scholarships to support students within all academic programs are critical to UWF’s future and can truly change the lives of students and, in return, our community.
What is an Endowment?
Endowed funds differ from others in that they are the gift that keeps giving. Instead of the entire amount of the gift being spent outright, the gift is invested. Each year, a portion of the income earned is spent while the remainder is reinvested. An endowment is a perpetual gift because only the spendable income is used immediately to support the university, while the principal grows continuously.
At a minimum, long-term rates of return should be equal to an amount sufficient to maintain the purchasing power of these assets and provide necessary capital to fund the foundation’s spending policy. As such, the desired minimum rate of return is equal to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) plus 400 basis points (3.5%) for spending, plus an additional 200 basis point (2%) on an annualized basis. The overall minimum rate of return is equal to CPI plus 600 basis points (6%). For example, if the average rate of return is expected to be 8% and the allocation for spending and administrative were 6%, the remaining 2% in earnings will build the endowment.
Why make an endowed gift?
Considered one of the sources of funding with the most impact, endowments enable the university to support excellent students, teachers, and programs by providing a steady and permanent source of income. This steady stream of funding provides the assurance the university needs to recruit and retain the best and brightest students and faculty and provide access to the most advanced education possible.
It is easy to establish an endowment at the University of West Florida. Our development professionals will guide you through this process. Endowed funds may be created with a minimum of $25,000* payable over 5 years, or through a future gift (a bequest) from your estate. Consult the Office of Development at (850) 474-2758 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Development staff will work with you to establish guidelines for your endowment to assure that your wishes serving the needs of the university are met. These guidelines can be personalized to recognize the unique interests and intent of each gift as well as create the opportunity to name the endowment after you, in honor of your family, or in memory of someone special.