Examples of Rubrics
Several examples of rubrics that can be found on the web are linked below to aid in the development of rubrics for post secondary education settings.
Template for Creating a Rubric
The below link is to a MSWord file that contains a template for a rubric and instructions for how to use and modify the template to meet individual grading needs. Instructors can download this file and modify it as needed to construct their own rubric.
AAC&U VALUE Rubrics
The AAC&U VALUE initiative (2007-09) developed 16 VALUE rubrics for the LEAP Essential Learning Outcomes. Elements and descriptors for each rubric were based on the most frequently identified characteristics or criteria of learning for each of the 16 learning outcomes. Drafts of each rubric have been tested by faculty with their own students’ work on over 100 college campuses.
The VALUE rubrics contribute to the national dialogue on assessment of college student learning. The AAC&U web is widely used by individuals working in schools, higher education associations, colleges, and universities in the United States and around the world.
Instructors can use the rubrics in their current form. They can also modify the language and rubric elements to meet the specific needs of their assignment or assessment goal.
Access to the VALUE Rubrics is free. AAC&U requests that users register before downloading PDF or Word versions of the rubrics to assist their research on rubric use.
External link to AAC&U Rubric download page: http://www.aacu.org/value-rubrics
Collections of Rubric Links
- Using Scoring Rubrics, The California State University, Allen
- Rubrics, Georgia State University Includes rubrics for essay questions, logs and journal writing, and lab write-ups
- Rubrics and Evaluation Resources, North Carolina State University link to an extensive collection of rubrics hosted by MindLink
- Assessment Resources, Sample Rubrics, Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education
- Rubric for Class Participation (Claudia Stanny, 2010)
- Rubric for Evaluating Class Participation, Villanova University
Interactive Quality of an Online Course
- How Interactive are Your Distance Courses? A Rubric for Assessing Interaction in Distance Learning, State University of West Georgia, M.D. Roblyer and L. Ekhaml (2000)
Student Peer Review
- Guidelines and Rubric for Student/Peer Review of a Draft of a Research Proposal (PDF) (Claudia Stanny, 2008)
- Rubric for Levels of Competence in Completing Team Homework, Fayetteville State University
- Rubric for Assessment of Team Working Skills, The Ohio State University
- Peer Evaluation of Team Skills, Ethelynda Harding, University of California, Fresno
Theses and Dissertations
- University of Pittsburgh (pdf), Rubric for Evaluating MS Thesis
- University of Nebraska: Mark Haggerty, Theodore Coladarci, Mimi Killinger, and Charlie Slavin
Updated: 06/20/16 gb