This page contains links to resources to aid in assessment of Student Learning Outcomes at the post secondary level.
Curriculum Change Review Submission Workshop
- Current CCR Workshop Slides (2 slides per page)
Writing and Assessing Student Learning Using Bloom's Taxonomy
- Introduction to Bloom's Taxonomy
- Writing Student Learning Outcomes for Course Syllabi
- Action Words for Blooms Taxonomy
- Writing Higher Order Multiple Choice Questions, Elluminate Session - Claudia Stanny (02/28/2013). Academic Technology Center, Elluminate Archives
- Strategies for Writing Effective Questions for Objective Exams (pdf)- Claudia Stanny
- All Chairs Workshop on the Assessment of Student Learning - Presentation at All Chairs Meeting, November 16, 2007
- UWF Assessment Tip Sheets
Example of a 7-year Assessment Plan
Each undergraduate program, graduate program, certificate program, and stand-alone minor should create a plan to ensure that every program-level student learning outcome is examined through a full multi-year cycle of assessment at least once during the time period covered by a 7-year program review.
A full cycle of assessment includes the following elements.
(1) Collect assessment data based on direct measures (initial observations).
(2) Reflect on findings, document decisions made (to modify assessment process, redesign courses or curriculum, or adopt new teaching and learning strategies).
(3) Implement actions based on these decisions.
(4) Collect follow-up assessment to document the impact of changes implemented or the stability of previous assessment findings.
Steps 1 and 2 are often conducted in the same year.
Assessment plans should be updated yearly to reflect year-by-year modifications. For example, assessment work on an SLO might require more time than expected. Alternatively, unexpected activities might delay the start of a cycle of assessment on an SLO. All modifications should ensure that all SLOs undergo a full assessment cycle within the 7-year planning period.
The following sample assessment plan for a hypothetical program describes full cycles of assessment for a program with 5 SLOs (one in each domain required for an undergraduate or graduate program).
- Sample 7-year Assessment Plan
- FAQ on Assessment Expectations for Academic Programs, Certificates, and Stand-Alone Minors
Curriculum Map Guidelines
- Curriculum Maps Guidelines
- Handouts from Writing Student Learning Outcomes-Certificate Programs Workshop
Assessment Resources in Higher Education
- Comprehensive List of Online Assessment Resources in Higher Education - "Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment" (List of over 1,600 assessment-related links, developed by Ephraim Schechter, Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment)
Professional Organizations for Assessment
- AALHE, Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education
- Association of American College and Universities Assessment Resources
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment
Updated: 08/07/15 ecr