Scope of Services

This page provides information on the scope of the services provided by Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS). If you have any questions about this, please call us at (850) 474-2420.

Image of a pink flower.

CAPS provides initial assessment appointments, crisis services, individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy, career counseling, and biofeedback. We also provide consultation to faculty, staff, students, and family members of students. Outreach, in the form of providing presentations/workshops, information booths, and larger-scale informational events, is another service we provide to the campus community.

Due to the significant demand for counseling services, there are session limits for individual counseling, couples counseling, and biofeedback. Students are eligible for up to 12 individual therapy sessions per academic year. The academic year begins with each fall semester and ends at the end of the summer term. Additionally, students are eligible for up to 12 couples therapy sessions and 12 biofeedback sessions while they are a student at UWF.

In general, if you require individual therapy or crisis counseling services outside the scope of a short-term model of treatment, your therapist will provide you with referral information for community resources that can better meet your needs. If additional individual therapy sessions are needed within the same academic year, your therapist may appeal to an internal review committee. Many factors will determine the outcome of this appeal, including client need and staff resources, but in general, students will be granted no more than fifty (50) individual therapy sessions from CAPS during their academic tenure. Crisis evaluations, initial assessment appointments, and participation in group therapy are unlimited based on need.

Documentation Requests

CAPS does not write letters of verification for the following:

  • Learning disability
  • Disability due to a mental health diagnosis
  • Verification of the need for an emotional support animal or a comfort animal

CAPS provides brief, short-term counseling. It is outside the scope of our practice to provide the rigorous assessment, diagnostic interviewing, and therapy that is merited when providing this documentation.


If you are under 18 years of age, please be aware that the law requires the written consent of your parent or legal guardian in order for you to participate in counseling. The limit to parental access regarding your participation in counseling can be discussed and clarified on a case-by-case basis, depending on your preferences and needs. In some cases, parents may be contacted if you are assessed to be at high risk of harming yourself or someone else.

Mandated Counseling

CAPS does not provide mandated, court-ordered counseling.

If a university official refers you to see a counselor, we can meet with you for an initial assessment appointment. Students can also be referred for an alcohol use assessment and feedback session. University officials do not mandate ongoing counseling at CAPS. However, students initially referred by a university official may choose to receive counseling on a voluntary basis.