Fee Appeal Information
Student appeals for late registration, late payment of tuition and fees, and refunds of tuition upon withdrawal after the refund deadline are referred to the University Fee Appeals Committee. In order to be considered, requests for refunds and other appeal actions must be submitted within six months after the end of the semester to which the refund or appeal action is applicable. Requests submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Appeals are reviewed for the existance of extenuating circumstances that may have prevented the student from meeting his/her obligations in a timely fashion. The following circumstances may warrant approval of the appeal; however success of the appeal rests on the facts in each individual case:
1. Call to or enlisted in active duty military service within the semester
2. Death of the student or death in the immediate family (parent, spouse, child, sibling)
3. Complete withdrawal of the student from all courses due to illness of the student that is confirmed in writing by a physician, stating that completion of the term is precluded
4. Administrative/University error
Circumstances generally not sufficient to support an appeal include, but are not limited to:
1. Not being aware of registration and/or tuition due dates
2. Insufficient financial aid or financial hardship
3. Lack of familiarity with UWF system or procedures
4. Withdrawal from a class (or classes) to avoid failure or low grades
5. Withdrawal from a class (or classes) because of dissatisfaction with an instructor
6. Withdrawal due to conflicts with school/work/life balance
Note: Withdrawal appeals (academic or medical) that are submitted to the Registrar’s or Dean of Students Offices at the end of the semester, or withdrawals approved retroactively for a previous semester, will generally not be considered for a refund of tuition.
The submission of a fee appeal does not guarantee approval. In addition, the submission of an appeal does not extend the due date for outstanding tuition and fees or other charges while awaiting a decision by the Fee Appeals Committee. Charges not paid by the due date will be assessed the late payment fee.
If the appeal is denied, the decision of the Fee Appeals Committee may be appealed first to the University Controller, then to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, as designee of the President, who has final authority within the University.