The Florida Sunshine Law provides a right of access to governmental proceedings at the both the state and local levels. Virtually all state and local collegial public bodies are covered by the open meetings requirements with the exception of the judiciary and the state Legislature which has its own constitutional provision relating to access. The Florida Sunshine Law is governed under Florida Statute 286, Public Business; Miscellaneous Provisions.
All recruitments for Director level and above positions and faculty recruitments (not including adjunct, visiting positions, instructors and lecturers) in the Division of Academic Affairs must be conducted under the Florida Sunshine Law. Librarians are considered faculty.
The following table contains those positions that require a Sunshine Recruitment.
|Class Code||Position Title||E-Class Code|
|9261||Associate Vice President||30|
|9270||Assistant Vice President||30|
|9054||University Associate Librarian||22|
|9055||University Assistant Librarian||22|
|9161||Research Associate Scholar||22|
|9162||Research Assistant Scholar||22|
Benefits of a Sunshine Recruitment
- The recruitment committee can rank, rate, cull and suggest applicants for hire;
- Recruitment committee members have the authority to screen applicants and determine which applicants to accept or reject from consideration;
- A closed recruitment, on the other hand, only allows committee members to gather information and provide candidate strengths and weaknesses to the hiring official. A closed recruitment limits a committee’s ability to participate in the selection process of their colleagues.
Important Sunshine Recruitment Information
- All decisions must be made publically;
- Committee members cannot discuss or communicate outside of a publically noticed meeting on any issue to be brought forward to the committee for decision;
- Minutes must be taken at all meetings and interviews;
- All meetings must be open to the public;
- All meetings must be reasonably publicized at least seven days in advance in @UWF;
- Recruitment committee members are responsible for taking minutes and submitting the 7-day public notice. An administrative/clerical staff member does not need to be assigned to a Sunshine Recruitment.
Sunshine Recruitment - Helpful Files & Links
- Master Key Points for Sunshine Recruitments (8/11/16)
- Position Class Codes and Titles Requiring Sunshine Recruitments
- Positions Requiring External Advertising (10/29/15)
- Public Notices
- Sign - Public Comments
- Template - Minutes (Committee Meeting)
- Template - Minutes (Campus Interview)
- Template - Minutes (Phone Interview)
- Template - Public Comments - Sign In Sheet
- Template - Timeline
- Template - Candidate Strengths and Weaknesses
- Template - Candidate Scoring Sheet
- Link - Public Meeting Notice Submission Form
UWF Faculty ADVANCE and the STRIDE Task Force offer the following concise resources for conducting inclusive faculty searches. These resources are intended to assist administrators, department chairs, and search committees from the earliest stages of the search process through to the selection and hire of new faculty.
- Recruitment and Hiring for Faculty Diversity at UWF (Sept. 2016) - provides an overview of the search process from pre-search and recruitment activities, through applicant review, interview, and selection activities to post-search activities.
- Tips for Recruitment of a Qualified and Diverse Faculty Applicant Pool (May 2016) - provides ideas for strategies for recruitment that can be undertaken on an ongoing basis as well as those that may be undertaken prior to and during an active search.
- Advertising for Diversity in Faculty Search Ads (May 2016) - offers required EEO language for faculty search ads and examples of language that may be included in search ads to convey the value of faculty diversity and inclusion and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply for faculty positions. Examples may be adopted verbatim or adapted to suit departmental preferences.