Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow. Be safe while walking around campus!
Pedestrian Quick Facts
- Florida has twice the National Average of pedestrian fatalities.
- Pedestrian crashes account for 3% of all traffic crashes BUT result in 20% of traffic fatalities.
- 1 in 5 traffic fatalities is a pedestrian
- 7% of pedestrian crashes result in fatalities whereas only 1% of all traffic crashes result in fatalities
- 1.3 pedestrians are killed every day, almost 10 pedestrians are killed every week
- 17 pedestrians are injured every day, almost 120 pedestrians are injured every week
For more information, please visit: www.AlertTodayFlorida.com
Walking Safety Tips
- Obey all traffic laws. As a road user you should always obey the pedestrian traffic laws to be safe on the road.
- Use sidewalks or walk against the direction of traffic. If no sidewalks are present, walk against the direction of traffic so you can see oncoming vehicles.
- Always use the crosswalks. The marked crosswalk at signalized intersections is the safest place to cross.
- Look then look again. Look left, right, then left again before crossing.
- Be visible. Wear bright colors and reflective accessories such as belts, clothes, wristbands and shoes.